Sign in to follow this  
oinegue1960

Pagelines.com insight

oinegue1960

Hello, I'm really fascinated by your website. I think it's the 'living' knowledge base example on how to use all functionalities of this great project. I'm not a coder at all so I use to explore your site by firebug and I try to get some hint on the direction I would to go to run some practice on my testsite. Probably I'll post more questions about that but I'd like to begin on focussing this page http://www.pagelines.com/showcase/ 1) I see buttons on the left side... are they included in a sidebar? if included in some default set how to recall them? 2) Aside the buttons there's a 'content' area which changes at each buttons click... the change seems to affect the content area only, not the main structure... what's the relation between 'buttons' and the relative content?...are the contents 'articles' or 'pages' or what else?...why the click/link do not take to another page? Thank you.

Rob
The buttons are in a sidebar but one that's been customized. The buttons are customized too, with CSS applied to create the background and text styling. In 2), I see that on click, the transition does take you to a different page. The pages all use the same template, so it looks exactly the same. The slider at the top of that initial page actually doesn't react to the clicked button, but it does look like it does. Those are pages, not posts (articles). The rest of it is something our founder created. I'll ask how he did that, but I suspect it's the "Always on Top" plugin available in the Store.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

oinegue1960
Thanks Rangelone. It should be also interesting to know what's the application which displays the sand title of each site's image in the exibition grid at the mouseover. I searched for 'always on top' plugin in the store but I did not find it. Please can you post a link to that plugin?

catrina
Always On Top is actually a section, so that probably explains why it's not in the plugins section. Here's the link: http://www.pagelines.com/store/sections/always-on-top-menu/

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

oinegue1960
Thanks Catrina. I wonder what's the difference between Always on Top section and Pageline's BrandNav bar.

Andrew
We had to add some custom css to get the brandnav section to behave like the one you see above. The 'always on top' section is supposed to behave appropriately out of the box. I think it also uses some javascript to get more advanced transition effects, etc...

oinegue1960
I guess the exibition grid (of pages) in showcase page could be archive page template based on. Pagelines has special pages to create an archive page but I don't know if it works for either posts or pages. (and to put their thumbnails in a grid) Alternatively the exibition simply could be a nextgen gallery with 'grid' option and a custom field for linking to related page. I don't know if nextgen offers 'mouse overlay titles'.

catrina
I searched around and I don't think NexGEN offers overlay titles unless you were to get into the code and add them manually.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

oinegue1960
Pagelines helps to put objects in a 'grid' by boxes... and that could be probably the useful tool used to create the showcase. (you can also set a 'link' to each box... that's interesting as it let you to overcome the need of nextgen gallery) I tried it and it works but I'd work around some settings as the box section does apply to full wide space while I'd like it respect the left sidebar. My modest 'working progress' comment is: Pagelines is a great project to discover. You 'need' to study all its features in advance to fully enjoy them... maybe the documentation and tutorials could deserve some more improvement as Pagelines is a 'premium' product. On the other hand I have to say the forum's support is friendly and 'proactive'. That's an extremely winning point, expecially for noobs like me.

Jenny
Thanks for your feedback @oinegue1960. Would you like me to put you in contact with our documentation team? We value your input and would like to hear what you think should be improved. You are also welcome to send any feedback to hello@pagelines.com

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

oinegue1960
@simple_mama sure!...I'll be glad to give my modest contribution to improve the support line. They can contact me at info'at'radiowebjay.com