Sign in to follow this  
toasthosting

Adding sidebar mucks up all the other sidebars

toasthosting

Hi everyone, yet another question from me :) I want to add another "content sidebar". I am still learning PageLines, so I am really just mucking around on test sites. But I want to try out the layout of many different plugins to see what looks better. So at the moment, I need more content sidebars so I can add bits and pieces and then move them around easily. I've got a content sidebar above the main loop for example. This is how I believe I should add a sidebar: Copy the folder sb_content into the base theme's "sections" folder, and inside section.php rename the class & title etc., in this case "new_sb". Then, go into the store and click "refresh store". This then gives me "new_sb" as a drag and drop section. But when I go into appearance>widgets, the list of sidebars is screwed up. What was called "primary sidebar" is now called "new_sb", and every other sidebar takes the name of the sidebar above it. I've not actually touched any other files, just added the new_sb ones. The content is similarly mucked up. Content from the old "primary sidebar" moves down to the next sidebar. I've seen reference to this problem elsewhere but not seen a resolution. Thanks!

Jenny
Hmm.. well have you added the sidebar to the desired location in Templates? Have you changed ALL of the old file name references, even the one in the file header?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

toasthosting
Hi simple_mama Yeah it's in the right place in Templates, and yeah I made sure to change the name wherever I saw it. Been burned like that before :) The actual name hasn't caused any problems at all - it's displayed fine in the PageLines setup and store, it's just that when it is being read and generated by WordPress, "primary sidebar" is over-written by "sb_new". This makes me think it's something in the interaction between PL and WP. Does that make sense? From a PageLines PoV, it all works fine - it's draggable, droppable and usable. It's just that WP seems to have (at a guess) renumbered all the sidebars, so that sb_new is now the primary, and everything else gets moved down by 1 place. I've removed it for now, but if it helps, I can put it back and take a screenshot of the WP "widgets" page.

Jenny
Do you have sidebar priorities enabled? I believe that's in "advanced" options. If yes, try disabling. If no, try enabling. ;)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

toasthosting
I didn't have that enabled, no - I've done it now and I'll try to re-create the "problem" and see what happens. Ok, done that but everything is still screwed. My site has primary sidebar on the left (with just a logo in it), secondary on the right, and (remember I'm just playing here), the following in the main content stack: Boxes, content sidebar, 3 custom loops (each is its own section, to help me learn), universal sidebar, and my new sidebar. Underneath that is the footer. When I add the new sidebar, going into WP's appearance>widgets page shows that secondary sidebar is now empty, and the others have swapped content/roles. If I muck around with priorities, I can get the primary sidebar to load properly, but that's all. I'm still such a beginner that I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong/incomplete, or if there's a bug - I spotted a similar problem in another thread, which was bumped up to the devs.

catrina
Do you think you can post a screenshot of what your Widgets settings page looks like so we can see how the sidebars are behaving?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

toasthosting
Hi Catrina. I've been really, really ill (proper flu, not that "man-flu" nonsense!) so I neglected this. I'll re-instate the odd code and take some screenshots in the next day or two.

Jenny
Keep us posted! Hope you feel better. :)