Sign in to follow this  
Gavin_

change banner default from h2

Gavin_

Hi we would like the banner to have an h1 instead of h2 where should i change this? thanks for the help

Jenny
Hi Gavin. May I ask why you want to change it from an h1 instead of h2? The reason I ask is because that would probably require creating a custom section to change it. BUT if you're just wanting to change the font size, for example, you can do that with custom CSS. Just add whatever font size you want to the #banners element.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Gavin_
Hi @simple_mama we want to change it for SEO purposes - i thought that the banner title as h2 would be something set in a php file? thanks

Jenny
Gotcha. Well.. you can just edit the banner section file because that file will be overwritten on updates and you will lose all your changes. What you will need to do is copy the folder: /wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections/banners/ And give it a new name like banners2 (make sure you copy, don't edit). Put this folder within the /sections/ folder so you have both /banners/ and /banners2/ in there. Then you will need to edit the section.php file in the /banners2/ folder. In that file: Change: "Section: Banners" To: "Section: Banners2" Change: "Class Name: PageLinesBanners" To: "Class Name: PageLinesBanners2" Change: "class PageLinesBanners" To: "class PageLinesBanners2" Change: the two instance of h2 (opening and closing) To: h1's That *should* do it. You'll need to enable your new section in PageLines -> Templates of course.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Gavin_
Hi thanks for this, however, it didn't work for me. i downloaded the banners folder from here /wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections/banners/ renamed it banners2 and made the changes you suggested - uploaded to the sections folder and then the site was inaccessible! is there another php file that needs to be edited to recognise both banners and banners2? thanks

Simon
Gavin, you need to upload the new banners folder to wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/

Gavin_
Thanks Simon (and simple_mama) at first i didn't notice anything, however, i checked in the store and there was the banners2 section. the only thing is it now seems to be "blocking" the other sections! and there are no options to add banners in the templates do i need to add the folder to the sections as well? Thanks again

Simon
You copy the whole folder, pagelines/sections/banners to pagelines-sections/banners2/

Gavin_
Hmm thats what i thought i had done currently i have copied the whole folder to /plugins/pagelines-sections/banners2 in this folder is the amended section.php and the icon.png and style.css and in /wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections/banners/ is the original folder when i activate banners2 in the store it deactivates banners and does not add any new sections (apologies if i have made a mistake somewhere) thanks

WebWerx
Just wondering why @simple_mama's CSS suggestion wouldn't work. That seems like the easiest route for you? And why would you change the tag from H1 to H2 for SEO purposes? H1 has more "SEO value" - albeit minimal.

Gavin_
@webwerx the default setting for banners headings is h2 not h1 thats why i asked if you could change from h2 to h1 ! thanks

Jenny
Thanks @Simon for correcting the folder location. I knew I forgot something. Have you activated the banners2 section in Templates?

Gavin_
Hi @simple_mama After activating banners2 in the store as a section you are no longer able to add either banners or banners 2 in the templates thanks currently i have copied the whole folder to /plugins/pagelines-sections/banners2 in this folder is the amended section.php and the icon.png and style.css and in /wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections/banners/ is the original folder

WebWerx
Sorry Gavin. I was being mentally dyslexic. My comment still holds though...

Gavin_
indeed Webwerx, your comment is right and i have tried to explain this to my client - several times - however - someone has given them some seo [i]tips![/i] also i know reckon it would be very useful to know what the correct way of adding a section is...

Jenny
I'm not really sure why neither of them would be available. Just make sure you have changed all of the items mentioned above to '2' otherwise you will have a conflict. You can also search the file for any instance pagelinesbanners to '2'. Keep in mind caps/lowercase DOES matter. And here is more information for developing: http://developer.pagelines.com/resources/

Gavin_
Hi @simple_mama i have got it to work - there was one other reference to pagelinesbanners in the php file and adding the 2 made all the difference. just for your info its actually PageLinesBanners thanks for all the help.

Danny
Thanks for informing us, we appreciate it.

Please search our forums, before posting!