Sign in to follow this  
jwhittaker

Default Side Bars & Blogging

jwhittaker

I currently use the Primary Sidebar with a widget that puts menus on all my pages. Now I want to set up a blog, is there any way to use the secondary sidebar and universal side bars as your sidebars in the blog areas? I know I could move the menu widget to from the primary sidebar to the secondary, but I have over 100 pages set up now and was looking for another fix.

Rob
If you use a plugin called "[url="http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/"]Widget Logic[/url]" you can use the Primary Sidebar with different content in it, still on the blog page. Widget Logic adds a little option inside each widget determining which pages/posts a widget will appear on. Just enable all except the blog. Check http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/other_notes/ for more information about adding widgets with Widget Logic. When you create the blog page, you can use the PageLines Meta Settings to add a Secondary Sidebar and customize the layout. I'd suggest holding onto your Universal as it's one of the few full-width sidebars. If you needed, there's a Tertiary Sidebar that can be used. If you still wish to exclude the Primary and use other sidebars on the blog page, just use the options in the page's PageLines Meta Settings to turn hid the Primary sidebar. Make sure you have the option in your other settings to Hide Sidebars When Empty.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

bestjimmy
Rangelone, what needs to be done to make the secondary or even the tertiary sidebars work on the pages, without having to use widget logic or an other custom sidebar plugin? I've tried assigning secondary and tertiary to the blog page and to other pages that are using the default template, and they don't 'stick' to the blog page at all. On the other pages, such as an About Us page that is using the default template, the secondary sidebar will stick but when I put replacement widgets into it, they don't appear at all. Thanks in advance for any help.