Sign in to follow this  
hpl_pl

#secondnav bar problem in IE8

hpl_pl

Our site is using the PL 2.1.3 release, and we're having trouble with the secondnav bar appearing as a vertical list in IE8, instead of a horizontal bar. In Chrome and Firefox, it appears just fine as a horizontal bar, but again, not in IE8. Here's the link to our site so that you can test/inspect it for yourselves. Is there some custom setting that we have wrong in the framework? Thanks for your help! Other than this, loving the PL theme!!

mackenzie
It looks like the link sends us back to this page. Can you resend it please? :)

Mackenzie - PageLines Help Desk

The Centsible Family - Writer, Photographer and Coffee Addict

---------------------------------------------------

Kindly search this forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

hpl_pl
Here's the link - hooksettlibrary.org

catrina
I don't think a custom setting would be causing this (I think it's just IE being its usual difficult self), but maybe custom CSS would be a cause. Have you added any at all? If so, can you please post it?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

hpl_pl
This is all I have for custom code relating to that section, but I should mention that I deleted/disabled the custom code to see if that was the problem, and it didn't seem to make any difference. I did notice, however, that the framework coding has "float: left" for the
  • tag of the secondnav bar, and when I delete or change this, the list format moves from horizontal to vertical even in Chrome and Firefox, latest version. So, I wonder if the float style is at issue?? .main_nav li a { font-weight: bolder !important; } #secondnav { line-height: 1.1 !important; font-size: .80em !important; } #secondnav .content-pad { background-color: #F2F2F2 !important; }

Rob
    I've edited the link in your original topic. When adding a URL, always make sure to include the http://www. in the URL tag itself or the link just loops to the topic.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
    By default, I don't think IE8 can use the !important feature of CSS. Here's some info that might help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc848857%28v=vs.85%29.aspx http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1577366/can-important-rules-be-used-in-ies-css-expressions http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/17308/older-browsers-support

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

hpl_pl
    Thanks for the responses thus far, but they seem to be missing the mark in terms of being an adequate explanation. I indicated that the problem doesn't seem to be custom code related, since I removed all custom coding from the PL theme (running 2.1.3) and the problem with the secondnav bar display issue in IE8 remains. This tells me that the problem is framework related or perhaps plugin related. I'd love to have a resolution to this issue, since most of our site visitors are using IE8. Help!

catrina
    Since IE8 is involved in the mix, it is also a browser issue. I searched around for a workaround and found something. Try this CSS: [code]#secondnav li {display: inline-block; padding: 5px 5px 4px; white-space: nowrap;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

hpl_pl
    Fantastic results! Thanks, Catrina! Mark