Sign in to follow this  
willowtee

Excerpt Thumbnail size and placement

willowtee

Hi I've spent a couple of hours to solve this issue and tried some of the methods suggested on the forum, alas no joy..... Here's a link to my project - http://domestica.com.au/wordpress/ I want to know how to further control the size and position of the thumbnail in a post excerpt. My client wants a full width image above the post title. Like another forum member suggested I'd like to achieve something similar to http://www.engadget.com/ Thanks Tom

Rob
Tom, Does your client want the large image only above the first post listed or, do they want it for all? If you look at the Engadget site, they have a static image under "Top Stories", then below, in Latest Posts, several posts actually have a large image below the title and meta data. So I'm unsure which your client wishes to achieve. The top stories one can be achieved with a feature slider with just one single static image and no navigation. The others are slightly more complex. You'd need to disable thumbnails in your meta settings and then in the body of each post, add an image that matches the width of your content area. Let us know your clients preferences and we can then guide you in greater detail how to achieve the desired solution.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

willowtee
Hi Rangelone My problem is only to do with the template/layout for the [b]post excerpt[/b] of each post which shows on the 'blog' page. She'll start each post with an image, so if its simplest - it would be fine to disable the thumbnail then have the excerpt include the first image of the post? Is this possible? Otherwise guidance on how to change the size and position of the thumbnail would be much appreciated Thanks Tom

catrina
Images in full posts can't display in the excerpts (this is a default functionality in WordPress). To change the size of the thumbnail, please use this CSS code added to Custom Code > Custom CSS in your theme settings: [code]div.post-thumb img.attachment-thumbnail {width: #px;}[/code] Change # to the pixel size you want (right now it's 150px). Where do you want the thumbnail to be repositioned?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

willowtee
Thanks Catrina I had seen this method suggested in the forum and tried it - but it just stretches the image. Have a look now to see for yourself, set to 680px - http://domestica.com.au/wordpress/ It is however in the right position. I would like to have the text running the same width of the photo underneath. It would be great to be able to crop this excerpt thumbnail image to a 'letter box' size, but if thats too difficult I would be happy for it to show in its original aspect ratio. Thanks Tom

Danny
Hi Tom, Are you having hosting issues, I am unable to load your site?

Please search our forums, before posting!

Jenny
You should be able to visit WP -> Settings -> Media and change your thumbnail size to what you want. You will then need to rebuild your thumbnails using the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/).

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

willowtee
Thanks guys Danny - no hosting issues that I'm aware of. I'm not hosting this site, its with a fairly low cost provider in Australia (Zip) - perhaps its a bit patchy, will keep an eye on it. Simple Mama - thanks for your tip, I have installed the plugin. But can't see where to change the thunbnail size? [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sghHp0v4IGLBb_zGTaCilJP4k0jyYt_Xs2jNF-l2Ov8?feat=directlink"]link to screen shot[/url]

catrina
The Regenerate Thumbnails plugin should be activated once it's installed. Once it is, the settings will become available on the Dashboard.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Rob
Tom, Even when I tested this: [code]div.post-thumb img.attachment-thumbnail { height: 330px; width: 680px; }[/code] your client's images still look compressed or stretched because an image over 1900px is being pushed into a confined space or, the 150px thumbnail WP originally created for the post is being pulled. WP will not re-interpret the images and resize to suit the space properly. Instead, you'll need to have the client make an image to match the thumb size you want. The plugin will not be able to take a square image (150px by 150px) and turn it into a rectangular shape and stretching an image that far will distort it, just as compressing a 1932px high image will as well. The first image on the page loads very slow. That's likely to slow the speed down if many posts have very large images.

willowtee
Thanks Rangelone, I have resized the images now, and still no joy. The first photo of the garden chairs has been resized to 673 x 505px and I've used the css - div.post-thumb img.attachment-thumbnail { height: 505px; width: 673px; } And still the image is distorted. Ideally I want my client to be able to resize a photo to a width of 673px - then upload it to her post - then have this full size image show in the [b]post excerpt[/b] with the abbreviated text aligned to sit directly underneath spanning 673 px Thanks Tom

Jenny
Make sure you did what I mentioned in my comment above: [quote]You should be able to visit WP -> Settings -> Media and change your thumbnail size to what you want.[/quote] THEN regenerate thumbnails.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

willowtee
Thanks Simple Mamma! I've now got the thumbnail displaying correctly. Now I need to get the post excerpt text lining up underneath - how would I set that up? Its presently overflowing into the sidebar Thanks Tom

Jenny
For some reason, your "thumbnails" have a right margin of -706px. Make sure you delete any custom CSS code relating to the thumbnails since you've now done it the right away. Also, please verify you have regenerated thumbnails after changing the size. And, have you changed the layout in PlatformPro -> Blog and Posts? (You have a few options that need set here.)

willowtee
Thanks simple mamma. Yes I've adjusted the settings then regenerated all the thumbs. I can't understand where the negative margin is coming from? I have double checked the custom CSS I have added, and tested with it totally removed. I've also adjusted the settings in platform pro > Blogs and Posts I have it set - 'Blog layout' with 'One sidebar on right'

Danny
Hi Tom, Please go to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard > PageLines > Blog & Posts and scroll down until you see this options "[b]Feature Post Excerpt Mode[/b]". Then instead of having "Left Justified", use the "[b]On Top[/b]" and reply here when you have done so.

Please search our forums, before posting!

willowtee
Hi Danny, I dont have this option available? I'm using Platform Pro 1.5.0

Rob
PlatformPro 1.5.0 was upgraded to 1.5.1 in 2011, eventually leading to the current 1.5.3, also in 2011. You should have updated and made sure you have PlatformBase 1.4.1 activated. Additionally, there is a limit to the level of support for client customizations we're able to provide here in a forum setting. I'm recommending, strongly, that you visit our Pro's page http://www.pagelines.com/pros to request a quote for this customization project. We're unable to offer any additional support on this because it's really not a support issue, it's simply a design issue.

Rob
You may wish to write to [email protected] if you need assistance in updating your version of PlatformPro.

willowtee
Ok - take your point Rangelone, everyone has been very generous with their time and ideas, thanks all. Although can you clarify a couple of last things please. I have updated my version of Platform pro and have activated PlatformBase 1.4.1. But still I can not see any options to set the Thumb positions as Danny describes above - i.e "Dashboard > PageLines > Blog & Posts and scroll down until you see this options "Feature Post Excerpt Mode". Then instead of having "Left Justified", use the "On Top" " Should I see these options? In which version of pagelines' offerings are they available? My project is relativley low budget, and as such there is no $$ left to pay a 'pro'. Thanks for the tip though

Rob
Danny may have misunderstood that you're on PlatformPro not on PageLines Framework. The options he's describing are in PageLines Framework. If you write to [email protected], I'm sure they can assist you in obtaining an upgrade affordably. If you upgrade, I'd suggest backing up everything before you do. It's generally pretty easy but some things may need to be re-aligned. Otherwise, not a difficult thing at all.