Sign in to follow this  
JesseMann

Post On Facebook?

Danny
Hi Zookmann, I'm not quite sure what you're referring too when you say [quote][i]The preview text is https://twitter.com/share for http://punkjews.com/?p=61 any way around this?[/i][/quote] I'm not sure what twitter share has to do with Facebook ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

meilena
Maybe if you can provide us with a link to a screenshot that would help us see what it is looking like for you. Thanks :)

Meilena Hauslendale

PageLines.com

"A Better Way to Build Websites"

JesseMann
im not sure what it has to do with it either.... thats the problem:) i would like to see preview text from the post but all i get is the twitter share link which doesnt mean anything. post is in the upper left of the screenshot on my wall. http://www.zookmann.com/uploads/screenjzm.png

Jenny
Are you talking about a link you post to someone else's site on your Facebook wall? If so that has absolutely nothing to do with your theme, or even Wordpress. That deals with the way Facebook communicates with THAT site. So you should either contact the site you are linking to, or Facebook.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

JesseMann
thanks mama:) im afraid i have to disagree though. punkjews.com is my site. it does have to do with the theme because if i link to any number of wordpress sites they display differently - and all I get on my pagelines site in the preview text is the twitter link. i posted another wp site for reference. with social media being so crucial to people getting to our site through our posts its very important the previews show up correctly. here is a link to a screen grab of another wp site that displays correctly. http://zookmann.com/uploads/screen2jzm.png

JesseMann
your site also displays correctly. zookmann.com/uploads/screen3jzm.png. how do i get my pagelines website punkjews.com to do the same? none of the text from the post shows up, just the twitter link.

JesseMann
here is also is a pagelines site where it does not display correctly. zookmann.com/uploads/screen4jzm.png

Jenny
On the link to my site, for example, that is pulling the featured image for that post. So, for the last screen you posted (zookmann.com/uploads/screen4jzm.png) do you have a "featured image" set for that post? When you link to simplemama, for example, the image options shown are all the images on my front page. Front page landing is a little different than single post/page landing on Facebook. Front page uses pretty much any image on the front page whereas single post/page links use ONLY the featured image. If no featured image is set, nothing shows. This is how ALL wordpress themes work when posting to facebook as far as I know. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
Zookman, In part I agree, but in part I disagree. Facebook has a very odd way of handling images provided by links. I have been posting links to my articles almost daily for the past few weeks and I've found that in some cases, Facebook picks up the featured image (thumbnail) and in others, it selects the first image in the post, even though there's a different featured image for the same post. I see no rhyme or reason to it. My articles all use a standard 610px wide image in the post and all have pretty much standard, square feature images. Additionally, each of my posts has a manually entered excerpt. That's always the first one or two sentences of the post, repeated to the Excerpt field. In my posts, I have a recipe plugin and it has a notes field. Sometimes, not always, Facebook picks up the excerpt, sometimes absolutely nothing and other times it picks up the notes. Again, with no rhyme or reason. This is not a theme related issue but one solely for Facebook. I can assure you it's not about PageLines Framework as I use PlatformPro for the posts I mention. But even when I've used a different installation with PageLines Framework (from my magazine section posts), I get the same inconsistency. I think you should raise this topic directly with Facebook and ask them for their feedback, suggestions and solutions. We will happily work with you to apply something but we've no idea what to fix. The twitter link I believe appears for your posts just as the Notes appear from mine. As my Sicilian grandmother would say... "[b]it's Meshugeh[/b]!" (She was a cool gal!)

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur