Sign in to follow this  
chisim11

Question regarding permalinks

chisim11

Is it possible to edit/change the name of the permalink without affecting anything. I'm not sure the name on this permalink ended up with the numbers 2. Refer to http://tinyurl.com/6stfop3. What I wanted was to have the link very simple as www.mysitename.com/about/ewm-affiliations I went to the page itself to edit name but apparently I can't CAN IT BE DONE? THANKS

catrina
You can change your Permalink structure by going to Settings > Permalinks on your Dashboard.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

chisim11
Catrina, Apparently "Day and name" was checked as the common settings. There is also an Optional settings. I have 2 questions: 1) Do I select custom structure from common settings or fill out the "category base" from the optional settings? 2) After I make the selection to change that particular page, is it gonna change all the other pages, or they will stay with the same permalink names until i change them? I just dont want to make a global change and affect other pages at this time. Thanks

chisim11
Ok. so I just changed it to settings to "default" and could not access any page. That's exactly what I'm talking about affecting all pages. Does that mean Im gonna have to change all permalinks on all pages???????

Simon
Permalinks are a global setting. All links in wordpress are created dynamically based on your settings there. Make sure the file .htaccess has read/write permissions when you click save.

chisim11
And how do I do that? Not a clue. I'm not a designer or developer. It would be nice if you guys provide some of the step to have this accomplished. I still did not get the questions above answered. Frustrating!!!!

Simon
Ok i see whats going on. When you create pages the 'slugs' are generated automatically, so for example lets say i have a url test.com and create an about page and the title is about wordpress creates test.com/about/ great... But now i dont like that page, so i delete it and create a new about page, same title (about ) BUT because i didn't empty the page from the wordpress trashcan wordpress cannot assign the same 'about' slug as it is already used in the database, so it appends -2 to the slug, its trying to help out! So, empty the trash, go back and edit the page and change the slug, you can do this at the top by the title.

chisim11
That did it! Thanks.