Sign in to follow this  
emckenna730

Recent Posts On Homepage

emckenna730

Hello, I have seen this question around the forums with multiple solutions but none seem to work for me. I am trying to display my recent posts on my home page. 3 across in my content section with a thumbnail, a title, and an excerpt. I want it to look similar to the boxes I currently have there. I put those boxes there to show you what I want them to look like. http://ironandwoodside.com/ Please help! Thank you!

catrina
Have you tried setting your layout mode to magazine mode and using post clips?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

emckenna730
How do I set it to magazine?

emckenna730
Sorry, that was a silly question. I was confused there for a second. I already have it set to Magazine Mode. Now I just want my 3 most recent blog posts to show up on my home page like the box place holders I have there right now.

Rob
It wasn't a silly question. We all get frazzled sometimes when dealing with our sites. I do that all the time, but in my case, they're senior moments. Let's not go there, though. :) Okay, the solution to your issue is a plugin called "[url="http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/"]Special Recent Posts[/url]" in which you craft a shortcode which you then drop into the box. You won't want to use the box's image, so we'll empty that out, putting the shortcode only where the text goes. You also won't need the box's title either, as the shortcode will be set to include that. Here, you'll find the list of selectors: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/installation/ used in crafting the shortcode. Just a tip: On that page you'll see things like "srp_thumbnail_option => yes|no" that converts as an element of the shortcode to "srp_thumbnail_option='yes'". Here's an example from my own site: [code][srp srp_number_post_option='1' srp_widget_title_hide_option='yes' srp_post_date_option='yes' srp_content_post_option='titleexcerpt' srp_filter_cat_option='65' srp_wdg_title_length_mode='fulltitle' srp_wdg_excerpt_length_mode='fullexcerpt' srp_thumbnail_option='yes' srp_thumbnail_wdg_width='100' srp_thumbnail_wdg_height='100'][/code] You'll see [b]cat_option='65'[/b] which means this particular shortcode group selects my category number 65. You find the category number when you hover over the categories found at Dashboard > Posts > Categories. The [b]post_option='1'[/b] means I want to display only one item. Basically, that's the kind of shortcode you want. It will display thumb, title, excerpt and link. Let us know if this helps.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

emckenna730
Thanks! This is really helping me out! I have a better handle on how I want this to turn out. Just a few final questions. Since I want the last 3 posts to show would I just have one box in the box set and work with the css to show three across or would I have three different boxes and input the parameters so that they each show a different recent post (of the three most recent?

Rob
You need 3 separate boxes in one row, with the code set up in each box for each category. Kinda like this: BOX 1 BOX 2 BOX 3 Cat 1 Cat 2 Cat 3 (thumbs) Cat 1 Cat 2 Cat 3 (titles) This way, your content becomes dynamic in the boxes, and you can just tweek the shortcode for the category and nothing else. Just copy what you get right in Box 1 to 2 and 3, changing their categories only. I don't believe CSS will create columns from this shortcode's results - there aren't any divs or elements to apply to columns and being a shortcode, no place to add them.

emckenna730
What if my latest posts are all from the same category?

Rob
Same problem. We have no CSS elements to break up the list into columns. If you use the code in the same category, you'll only be repeating the same posts, but Special Recent Posts has an option you can add for offset, so you'd offset by 1 in the 2nd, two in the 3rd.

emckenna730
Thank you so much! Working perfectly. Now I just have to work on the styling. Is there an easy way to not have the text overlap among the boxes? You can see it on my homepage. If not I'll just play around with the CSS. Thank you again! ironandwoodside.com

wandr_mari
Hi @rangelone, Could you share a link to your site so I can see this in action? I'm trying to do something similar and it would be really helpful to see a live example of this. Many thanks, mari

Have an okay day.

maripfeiffer.com