Sign in to follow this  
apattee

Highlight Parent category when Child is active

apattee

So I'm running into an issue when a child page is clicked, the parent category isn't highlighted. How can I fix this? If you go to my homepage, and go to Locations -> any location - I'd like Locations to be highlighted when any of the child pages are clicked. dev.leportschools.com Thanks.

catrina
It is highlighted, but the background color is such a light shade of grey that you can't see it. Please add this CSS to Custom Code > Custom CSS to change the active background color: [code]#nav_row .main_nav li.current_page_item {background-color: #XXXXXX;}[/code] Please replace XXXXXX with the hex code for the color you want to use as the highlight color.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

apattee
Thanks but this didn't work. I put this in both custom code and my styles.css in platformbase and it didn't change. Again, I don't mind the light grey, but when I click on a child page, and then am on that child page, I want the parent category to have that grey too. Instead, everything is just white. As an example, when I click on the "Locations" category, that'll make that category light grey. But when I go down and click on the child category "Huntington Harbor" it removes the light grey from "Locations." dev.leportschools.com

catrina
[quote]As an example, when I click on the "Locations" category, that'll make that category light grey. But when I go down and click on the child category "Huntington Harbor" it removes the light grey from "Locations."[/quote] Ahhh, I see what you mean. This is a default functionality of the Menus. Technically, when you click on the child category, you're viewing that child category page (and not the parent category page), which is why the parent category is no longer highlighted in the navigation bar.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

apattee
Okay, so is there anything I can do to make it function like I want!?

catrina
I searched and found this article: http://www.darrenhoyt.com/2008/02/12/creating-two-tiered-conditional-navigation-in-wordpress/. Is this along the lines of what you're looking for?

Designer | Catrina Dulay