Sign in to follow this  
boldbelvoir

Please explain templates to me... confused!

boldbelvoir

Hello all, I'm running PageLines lastest version. When going into the Pagelines settings > Template setup area, I am presented with 20ish options including blog, search, 404, etc. Now, when I go to edit a page and use the Page template drop-down on the right there are only 7 options.. Default, Custom and Templaes 1 to 5. If the layouts described in the template setup are not available in the dropdown, what are they for and how do I apply them to my page? Thanks for looking.

tsalstrand
Hi Boldbelvoir, I totally understand how you feel... can be a little confusing. But you'll love the customization once you get the feel for it. Basically it works like this: There are four main areas for template manipulation. [b]Area #1: Pagelines>Templates[/b] In this area you setup how the page's template looks and what sections are included in what areas. FIRST, you'll select the template (i.e. default, blog, template 1-5, etc.), then you'll go below and actually fill out what sections you want that template to include (i.e. - do you just want content? Or do you want to include a feature, banner, boxes, etc.). [b]Area #2: Posts>New - right hand side[/b] Here you will select the template that your pre-formatted in the Pagelines>templates area. [b]Area #3: Posts>New - below in the meta settings>page setup[/b] Here you can customize that specific page's template. Ex: let's say you had setup your default template (in pagelines>templates) to have 5 sections in the following order: banner, content, boxes, highlight, boxes (cloned). When you look at the meta settings, you'll see check boxes for those in the template area. You can select ones that you want to hide if you like by checking the box next to it. [b]Area #4: Posts>New - below in the meta settings, all the other tabs[/b] Here you decide how each one of those sections appear. If you selected the template with the 5 sections above, you will have the option of setting up each of those sections in this area. Ex: the highlight section. You will put in your main title, subtitle, picture, and link. This will populate the section on the page once posted. There is one additional area in Pagelines>Meta that allows you to setup the default settings for all your sections as well as what I call "odd ball" pages, i.e. 404, search results, archive page, etc. Hope that helps clear things up. Feel free to ask on any point that wasn't clear!

mackenzie
tsalstrand offers good advice above. Please let us know if you still have questions...I didn't want to bombard you with information :)

Mackenzie - PageLines Help Desk

The Centsible Family - Writer, Photographer and Coffee Addict

---------------------------------------------------

Kindly search this forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

boldbelvoir
That IS confusing... but I'll try to get to grips with it. Thanks for taking time to reply.