Sign in to follow this  
greggsky

Can Featured Sections display the photos in a post's/page's gallery?

greggsky

I would like to set up a template to display the featured section using the images attached to that specific post (in this case, its a custom post type) in the featured gallery. Furthermore, I'd like to be able to click on those images and open up a lightbox gallery. Is the first piece of this possible out of the box? If not, where would i start to create a plugin that could do this? Do I need to create a customized featured section? NOTE to ADMIN: I have searched for this. I really hope pagelines creates a better search tool where you can search a specific Framework rather than all of their themes. Also, i find the inline search to be very frustrating as I can't return to my search return after checking out one of the results.

Rob
The slider couldn't pick up images inside a post or page. However, it can be used in "Category mode", picking up one feature image (thumbnail) that is scaled to fit. By that last bit I mean that if your slide is normally 1000px by 500px, you can use a post feature image that's 500px by 250px. Keep in mind, the post itself will crop the thumbnail display to 150px square for the blog page. But it will pick up the feature image for the feature slide, making a link to the post from the URL, grabbing the title and post excerpt (which should be really short). The Category mode only allows the title and excerpt to be shown in the bottom portion of the slide. You can't use left or right. The slide shouldn't be used to open an image to a lightbox as it would likely create a plugin or scripting conflict. You would be able to place the images on your post or page and apply the lightbox there. You might want to search Google for jquery sliders, as someone probably has already posted a slider close to what you're looking for. You can always replace ours, but I'm not sure you need to write a plugin for it, given the vast number of sliders out there. My last count was over 300 already published.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

greggsky
Thanks for the clear answer, albeit, not the one I was hoping for :) Question, would it make sense to create a new pageline section, e.g. Post Slideshow to accomplish this? If so, can you point me to the right tutorial for do that?

catrina
If you were to create a new section, you'll need code that would generate a post slideshow. Do you just want a slideshow that shows linked post thumbnails in a slideshow format or something a bit more advanced?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

greggsky
Here's a snapshot of what I'm looking to create. I've set up a custom post type for "Objects" and I am looking to develop gallery code that can display the gallery images as a navigable slideshow as shown in the screenshot. I think it might be best to work outside of the pagelines framework for this and simply make a gallery plugin. Suggestions? [img]https://img.skitch.com/20120229-jx9twu4ygjh5ytakwrhfyf5eq8.jpg[/img]

Rob
Hi, I'm sorry that my reply earlier wasn't quite up to expectations. The customization of our slider to the extent you're trying to reach as demonstrated in the image above is way beyond its real capacity to be candid. It would take a great amount of customization and likely, it would break at some point. You'll probably want to find a different slider that's more specific to your goals where the volume of customization is lower. You're spot on that a new plugin is needed, but I don't think you need to write one as there are hundreds of jQuery based sliders, many capable of some of the things you're trying to accomplish. My suggestion would be to search for jQuery sliders and isolate one that comes closest. Once you get it, I think it will be great looking.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

greggsky
Thanks @rangleone for the input. I went ahead and did what you suggested.