Sign in to follow this  
johnlatham

Export Import

johnlatham

Hello, I am running the 1.4.1 Platform Pro Base on my Wordpress site. I have exported the theme settings to upload to a new site also running the 1.4.1 Platform Pro Base. When I upload the file which ends in .dat I just get a white screen and nothing. What actually gets exported? Because I am yet to set a home page and the page functions to include. ie. feature, boxes etc. Will I need to replicate these manually? Is there an easier way to replicate the whole other site for the new site? My new site will be very similar to the old one but a separate site and I just need to make some tweaks. Thanks. The site I am exporting the file from is www.johnlathamweddings.com and the site I wish to import to is dev.mrjohnlatham.com.

Jenny
Have you installed PlatformPro on the new site as well? I assume you are uploading within the PlatformPro settings and not the WP->Tools menu. White screen means PHP error. You can check your server's php error log for the exact issue.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

johnlatham
Yes to the first Q. Yes to the second, through the settings. Where can I find the error log? And how descriptive will that be? Will it point out the problem? Thanks.

johnlatham
Some of the text seems to have changed but I need to know what actually gets exported? Will duplicate pages be created? Will I have to build the page formats manually?

Jenny
I believe you have to install the plugins first for the plugin data to be used. Not 100% sure on this though. As long as you export everything and import everything, all should change over. It will only duplicate if you import more than once. The log will be called php.log I think and should be in the /logs/ folder in your server root.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

johnlatham
When I say duplicate I am refering to the actual pages on the first site. WOuld be good If I could have the same pages on the new site. Is this something I have to do manually or shall I wait until the export problem is resolved? Thanks.

Simon
John, not quite sure what you have installed, as your posting in the PageLines Framework category, but anyway, Platforms exporter will only export the framework settings. No posts/pages or images are included. You need to use the native wordpress import/export tools to do that. As for the white screen, it is a php fatal error most likely. Depending on your hosts setup, if its cpanel there will be a error_log file generated somewhere either in your web root, the wp-admin folder, or the themes folder.

johnlatham
I have installed platform pro and platform pro base as mentioned in the question. Is there a tool or plug in that would copy the whole site and put the files in the new database then?

Simon
The wordpress import/export tools will copy posts/pages and images into your new site.

johnlatham
Ok thanks, I have now managed to recreate the first site to a point that I can use. Thanks for the help and I may come back to this issue in the future. Thank you again.