Sign in to follow this  
jens0771

Display multiple most recent post of different categories on page

jens0771

So my title is a bit large. What I was wondering is if it's possible on my main page to construct a layout to show the most recent post of a particular category, for different categories on the same page. So an example is on main page under my highlighted area... I would have 2 posts side by side (like boxes) and each post would be the most recent post of a particular category, among many categories. So my blog page shows the usual all categories but by date. Say I've got two categories, "Featured Article" and "Tutorial". I want the most recent post of these two categories to show on my homepage. I've looked at plugins and all I can seem to find are ones that will display the title of the most recent post, or a list and not the actual excerpt along with thumbnail, just like you'd see on the blog page. Any ideas? I'm not very good at all with PHP but I'm willing to do what it takes to get this. Thanks so much in advance! P.S. I searched and just found a lot of people talking about a whole page that contains just a particular category, which I am not looking for.

Rob
Hi, May we have a link to your site? Next, there's a great plugin called Special Recent Posts. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/ The plugin will let you craft your own shortcode for each category, pulling title, date, excerpt, thumb and linking things to your posts automatically. You set the details in snippets within the shortcode. As for the columns, I do not know whether you're using PlatformPro or PageLines Framework, but I've used something called "Boxer", another plugin to create some nifty looking boxes. This too uses a shortcode. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/boxer/ Essentially, you create a box set, embed the shortcode for that in the homepage. Each box represents the category. Inside the box, you add the Special Recent Posts shortcode. After that, the whole system is automated. Every time you add a new post in their categories, it will display automatically on your homepage, by category and on the blog by date.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur