Sign in to follow this  
toasthosting

Am I doing something wrong? Adding action to functions.php brings site down

toasthosting

Hi, I am a new PageLines user; I'm fairly experienced with PHP, but I've got a simple problem that I know has a simple answer, I just need a push getting there. I can't add any actions to my functions.php - I've tried doing it in the child theme and the main functions.php just to be sure. When I say I can't add any functions, I mean *any*. So if I do this: add_action('pagelines_before_theloop', 'do_nothing_at_all'); function do_nothing_at_all() { echo 'I am doing nothing'; } and I reload my page, it's a blank screen. I've pasted in example functions from other people - such as, increasing the posts displayed on is_home() - nothing works. I know this is a simple issue. What am I doing wrong? This is the sort of function I'm aiming at, from a PageLines forum: add_action ('pagelines_before_theloop','only_articles'); function only_articles(){ if (is_home()) query_posts('cat=-6, -5&posts_per_page=9');}

Simon
post the 'broken' functions.php to pastie.org

toasthosting
Hi pross. Here it is - http://pastie.org/3428480 You'll see that it literally has that "almost nothing". I also did try it in the child theme's function.php as well, with the same result. I did the usual diagnostics - pared it back until there wasn't even anything in the function. But still it falls over.

Simon
where is this code located?

toasthosting
It's in wp-content/themes/pagelines/functions.php

Simon
You shouldn't edit the theme core files. Install the customize plugin, it contains a style.css and a functions.php for this purpose.

toasthosting
Damn, I seem to have issues with FF/OS X and posting on here. It ate my post (not the first time it's happened), and then when I reloaded the page, it came up with a saved draft from yesterday. Anyway: Hi again Pross, thank you again for your help. I wouldn't normally have even tried to add code to the core - I tend to learn best by actually screwing things up and then working out how to fix them (just a quirk of my brain). I had misunderstood some advice from others - namely, to put the code into the child theme's function.php - but when I did the code above, it also took my site down. I've now taken your advice and installed your plugin and the code doesn't take my site down :) But, when I put the code I actually wanted, it has no effect. add_action('pagelines_before_theloop', 'different_post_count'); function different_post_count(){ if (is_home()) { query_posts( 'posts_per_page=5' ); } } My WP settings call for posts per page of 30 (so I can clearly see the difference while I test), but I still get 30 on my home page. I know this is now not the question I originally asked; if it's a simple error I'm making and you can help, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I'll start a new thread so people can follow it more easily. Thanks again.

toasthosting
Oh, also - obviously, as you've answered my original question (thank you again :) ), should I click "accept" now, or will it close the thread?

catrina
If you thank pross for answering your question, the thread will be considered "Answered" but it doesn't completely close it. You can start a new thread for the new issue, though.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

toasthosting
Thanks Catrina, I've done that and I'll start a new thread if I still can't work it out (I *know* it's something simple I need to do!)