Sign in to follow this  
mckdesign

Remove the [...] from the slider in a child theme?

mckdesign

Hi. I'm using PageLines 2.1.1 and I'd like to remove the [...] in the feature slider without modifying the core. I have tried several things, including placing a copy of library.functions.php at the root of my child theme and modifying that, but to no avail. How are customizations like this best done to plan for future upgrades? Thank you Tim

catrina
I think child theme modifications would be the best for customizations. Can you please post a link to your site?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

mckdesign
Hi, Catrina. The site is currently behind a firewall during development, so I can't send a link.

Rob
The [...] usually appears in feature sliders where the excerpt is too long or, where the optional text is not set in the feature settings. Inside the individual feature slide setup, near the bottom of the page, there's a section labelled: Link Text. In it, you enter the text you wish to appear. On my own site, I customize this for each slide as they go to different things. An article might say "Read More" or a recipe "Make Them". Adding text there of your own choice should remove the [...]

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

mckdesign
Hi. I'm pulling content for the slider from the 5 most-recent posts, and I don't see any setting to replace the text (there is on the Blog and Posts page, but that's for the clips, not the slider). It's adding the [...] even when I have written custom excerpted content that's less than the 55 words (much less). In the end, I'll probably simply target the hellip class in the slider and display:none, but I'm still hoping to get a sense for how to most efficiently make modifications to this theme as a child theme to avoid upgrade issues.

catrina
The [...] is a default functionality of WordPress. I think this plugin can assist in eliminating it: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/advanced-excerpt/. You can try it to see if it does what you're looking for.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse