fstop16

First post - full post, following posts - excerpts.

fstop16

Hi all I've searched through the forum and found a few posts that relate to my question but somehow things are not working or they're variations on what I want to achieve and so the code's not right... OK apologies in advance if you roll your eyes and say not that old chestnut! Noob factor warp 10! OK so down to it.. I want to have my latest post (i.e. first post) as a full width, full post (with no excerpt or course). Following posts (i.e.older) to be full width excepts. Is is possible to include thumbnails of images (images that are in the post) in following older posts? Let me know if that last question is in the way too ambitious basket but it would be way cool to get it working. So basically "Blog layout" mode selected, but showing the first post as a full post instead of an excerpt, and image thumbs in the following excerpt posts (if possible). I'm using Frameworks. Any help greatly appreciated...

Jenny
PageLines -> Settings -> Blog and Posts -> Post Thumbnail Placement -> Posts/Blog Page (for your thumbnails) To get the first post to show as full-height, I'm not really sure. You may need to add the entire HTML to the "excerpt" field.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

dario

I don't see this thread marked solved or closed so I'm asking the same question as fstop16:

In Framework how does one go about making the blog page show the latest post, full and the remaining posts in excerpts?

In the Platform Pro template.postloop file I used:

<?php if(pagelines_show_excerpt( get_the_ID() ) && $count != 1):

Instead of:

if(pagelines_show_excerpt( get_the_ID() )):

Of course I'm done hacking the PL core and want to do this the correct way. :)

Rob

Well, I'm glad to hear you're not hacking core files, because that's a guaranteed way to lose your changes.

As Jenny mentioned, your best method is to manage your post excerpts by going to each individual post, and copying the entire body of your post into the manual excerpt field.

When you add a new post, make sure to return to the last post and trim down the excerpt field to the first one or two sentences. This ensures that you get the full post on the most recent post, but only excerpts on subsequent listings.

That said, you can, of course, copy the postloop section from wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections down to your desktop, then, with Base Theme installed, you can upload it to wp-content/themes/pagelines-template-theme/sections, where you can then edit the file, provided you know what you're doing. 

Unfortunately, we can't provide support for that kind of customization. See support.pagelines.me/docs and search for 'customization' without the single quotes.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

dario
That said, you can, of course, copy the postloop section from wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections down to your desktop, then, with Base Theme installed, you can upload it to wp-content/themes/pagelines-template-theme/sections, where you can then edit the file, provided you know what you're doing. 

Is this a more proper solution than hooking into the postloop?

Rob

It totally depends on what you're trying to do, of course.  The method I described can work, if you are trying to edit something already there.  A Hook, via pagelines-customize/functions.php works well for something that's not there yet, but you want to add.

Your skill level with PHP is the key.

• Like 1

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur