Sign in to follow this  
msaizan

Grid Portfolio disappears with Gravity Forms Enabled

msaizan

When gravity forms is enabled the grid portfolio section disappears from the admin menu. Are you guys already tracking this? I really love the grid portfolio AND gravity forms is essential to my site.

Simon
This is because of the way gravity forms apply their menus. It is not Grid portfolios problem or PageLines. The Authors of GF are using add_object_page() to add their menu and this has a bug with costom post types, they are aware of the problem. http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16946

msaizan
well...darn. this really rains on my parade... i need those forms for the user registration integration, mail chimp, high rise integration AND user generated content submissions AND I really can't part with the grid portfolio. I am guess I am skunked til GF gets the bug fixed... ok. so while we're talking grid and forms - one of the things i was trying to do is make it possible for readers/users/viewers to upload images straight to the grid portfolio - user generated content... from the front end of the site - via a form of some kind... Some nice developer created a custom post type plugin thingy that goes with Gravity forms... but since I can't use Gravity Forms and Grid Portfolio together under any circumstance ...it's not gonna happen that way...so any thoughts about how to make that happen? front end upload an image to a portfolio?

msaizan
I just installed Formidable Forms Plugin and the same thing happens. Grid Portfolio disappears from the admin menu when that form plugin is installed too. I suppose the authors are using add_object_page() to add their menu as well? What I don't understand is why does only Grid Portfolio disappear? Reader or Features or the other custom post types don't disappear. Drat. I have to have forms that have user registration, highrise and mailchimp integration. So far that's Gravity Forms or Formidable Pro and they are both in conflict with Grid Portfolio...

msaizan
well...form follows function. I came up with a better idea - I will use the wikimedia integration for the user generated community news portion of my site. Awesome! I am really glad now that Gravity Forms/Grid Portfolio was in conflict - otherwise I might have missed this better idea. I am resolved.

tsalstrand
msaizan, Adam Munns (creator of Grid Portfolio) explained to me that it is a problem with WordPress itself. Currently (v3.3.1) WordPress only supports up to 9 sections. Posts, Media, Links, & Pages take up 4 of those by default. With a Pagelines platform/framework installed, you loose another three spots to Features, Banners, & Boxes. with 7/9 already taken, if you add Grid Portfolio, Reader, and Gravity Forms... one of those isn't going to be viewable. I have all the above on my site including uTestimonials, and Uber Menu. At any given time, I can't see 3 of them :-S So I know how you feel. Good news is that the sections will still be active on your site, you just can't access the menu to edit them. The get to the one you want, just deactivate others temporarily so that the one you want will show up. Pain in the you-know-where, but it works for now I guess!

Simon
Actually that isnt true. Here are the facts: If a section/plugin/theme whatever adds a menu using a fixed position it will sit on top of any other menu already in that position. Here is the bug report http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16946 I just added 20 custom post types with no order added and they are all in my admin menu, now i have to go in and remove them ;) So, Gravity forms are using a fixed menu position, we have told them this, its up to them to change their code.

tsalstrand
Thanks for the correction pross. So if I understand correctly, this should be something as simple as removing add_object_page() from Gravity Forms plugin? I'll just go yank it out if that's the case! [-O<

tsalstrand
Out of curiosity, do you know if this will be fixed with WP 3.4 which is now in beta?

Simon
Very unlikely, GF will have to update their code.

msaizan
Simon, i think i have already mentioned this in this thread - but just FYI it's not just about Gravity Forms. Formidable Forms, a competitor, creates the same problem with Portfolio Grid. And when you activate GF or Formidable Forms it only creates a problem with Grid Portfolio - it only causes that one section (Portfolio) to disappear - Reader, Ken Burns Slider - everything else BUT Portfolio Grid will stick. I am not intending to draw any contradictory point of view and/or conclusions to what's already been said here - but just mentioning it. @tsalstrand thanks for weighing in and for work around suggestions.