Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Slider Visibility in Chrome

Rob

At present, there is a jQuery issue with the Chrome browser that is affecting feature sliders. They will show as black (or other background color), though the slides work perfectly in other browsers such as IE9 and Firefox. The problem is not related to any PageLines products, but is a coding conflict in Chrome. We're attempting to develop a solution which will be posted here. Please be patient as our developers try to find a solution to keep your sliders fully viewable.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Simon
The problem boils down to later releases of jQuery > 1.5 and the latest version of Chrome for Mac. The 'fix' is forcing WordPress to use jQuery 1.5. Here is the temporary fix: [code]function force_jquery_version() { if ( ! is_page( '##' ) ) return; wp_deregister_script( 'jquery' ); wp_register_script( 'jquery', 'http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5/jquery.min.js'); wp_enqueue_script( 'jquery' ); } add_action('template_redirect', 'force_jquery_version');[/code] Replace [b]##[/b] with the ID of the page with your features on, this will force WordPress to load jQuery 1.5 and not 1.7. Edit: This should be added to the PageLines Customize Plugin's functions.php

Jackey
Could this be related to the problem I'm having with the Social Surf Menu in Safari and iPad? Submenu's don't work and icons don't display after changing pages a few times. Firefox works flawless... [url="http://www.melisgs.nl"]Website[/url]

pross are you editing current code, or adding that in somewhere you didnt explain that part...thanks. This is a problem that lots of us have been complaining about lately, I hope they fix it in a update. Should be a fairly easy fix as pross has discovered the problem. See my open case here and please contribute your findings so they fix this: http://pagelines.com/tracking/pagelinesframework/issues/11

Jackey
Must be something completely different... The fix did not cure any of my problems.

Simon
well the 'fix' only loads an earlier jQuery the bug is with chrome itself and that is way beyond our control. We have reached out to jQuery devs and the cycle plugin devs and hope for a better fix.

joe_steer
Hi pross, I realise you're still working on this so I don't want to be too pushy, but.. Even with the above fix in my functions.php (i'm using the pagelines customization plugin) and with my page ID added, i'm still having issues. As you say, I'm using Chrome for Mac, and strangely the problem only occurs about 1 in every 5 times I view the page! I've tried emptying my browser cache since of course but its still happening. :-( My site is http://www.homeownerhandbook.co.uk Thanks very much for your help with this. Joe.

stefanoferruggiara
Sorry Pross, where i found the id of the page?? In this case, my homepage (http://www.coaching-formazione.info) to replace ## in your code. Thanks

"Se c'è una sola possibilità.. lo faccio, se non c'è.. la creo!"

Coach Stefano Ferruggiara, Allenatore Fisico & Mentale

Simon
Posted another possible fix here: http://pagelines.com/tracking/pagelinesframework/issues/11

stefanoferruggiara
Yes and... where i found the page id for complete your code up.

joe_steer
Hi pross, Just to let you know, I just implemented your second possible fix. It seems to have helped slightly but the problem still arises.. Now about 1 in every 10 times that I view the page. Joe.

Simon
http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/108253 This issue in chromium has been patched and will be merged into the next browser release.

joe_steer
Hi pross, So does this mean that feature sliders are always going to be unreliable for people viewing pagelines sites on current/older versions of chrome (on mac)? Seems like quite a big issue as I'd imagine this is quite a big demographic.. Are you working on a more reliable fix or is this the end of your input? Many thanks for your help so far, Joe.

Simon
Joe the bug was with Chrome web browser not properly displaying hidden images. We can't make a 'fix' we just have to wait for google to release a new version.

joe_steer
I see. In that case could you (or anyone else reading this) recommend a good feature slider plugin/widget that'll work reliably with the current version of Chrome for Mac? Any help much appreciated. Maybe I should post this question as a new topic? thanks, Joe.

Simon
Joe ANY slider using jQuery is affected by this bug. The bug was fixed less than 24 hours ago. We just have to wait for google to release an update, they dont release versions every day. The current version might be updated today or tomorrow, we just dont know.

joe_steer
Ah I see! thanks for explaining.. I have to say I often find your posts a little hard to decipher as I'm not a coding expert. Many thanks, Joe.

stefanoferruggiara
Where i found the page id???

joe_steer
Stefano I've tried that 'fix' and it doesn't seem to work, so I wouldn't worry about it. Joe.

joe_steer
Hello, Does anyone know if there's been any progress on this? I still have the same issue in Chrome. I know we are waiting for Chrome to do something about it. But in the mean time can anyone come up with a temporary fix? pross's suggestion of forcing WordPress to use jQuery 1.5 seemed like a great idea, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help much appreciated. Joe.

suerama
If a "fix" isn't available until Chrome issues an update is there a way we could perhaps enter some code so that the feature slider is disabled in Chrome only?

jbekefy
Is there any estimate on how long this may remain an issue with Chrome? I just like to have answers to problems I am aware of. Thanks!

Simon
We have no insight as to when google release updates to chrome, all we know is the chromium source includes the patch.