Sign in to follow this  
babel08

Is there a way to Post to a Page separately from the Blog?

babel08

Hi, I have been researching this for a few days and most of the answers I find are over my head. I would like to add posts to my Community page, but not to the Blog-these are two entirely different items for my site. I tried a plugin page links to and also a category for just that page and tried to do it through a menu. I don't know enough to make any of these work. I think MU is beyond me. Any ideas? website is: www.backpackfilms.com Page for the special posts would be Community....Thanks again!

catrina
Have you considered creating a "Community" blog category and adding those posts to that category so that it could be added as its own page in the navigation menu?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

babel08
Well, I did try creating a category called "Community" and adding one post to it. I used "page links to" to my Community page-but it didn't work and posted it to my Blog instead. I am not sure how do what you are suggesting. Would you mind giving me a more detailed explanation? Thanks.

What I suggest is what has been stated, simply make a navigation link that goes to the specific category "Community" it will then go to your blog but only show the items marked in that category. How to do this: 1) Go to your Appearance > Menus 2) You will see a section called "Pages" on the left with all your pages. Below that you will see a section called "Categories" 3) In the categories section, check your category "Community" then click "Add To Menu" button and your done. You might have to apply that menu with the drop downs in the top left, where you select your menus.

Rob
As a minor supplement to 5344's list of how to do this: 4) Save the menu.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

babel08
I set it up as suggested and found two issues: 1) Even though I have set the individual page settings for the post I was testing to not show anything but content and post information-all the features, boxes --everything shows up on the page. I also checked the blog post set up in my template and none of these items are activated... 2) The post also shows up on the Blog - but only Community category was checked. I only want the post to show up on the community page. The Blog I have set up for something different.

Rob
The Blog page will pick up all posts entered and to the best of my knowledge, there's no method to filter them on a blog through WordPress unless you're proficient in writing queries. I am not, unfortunately. Effectively, the only way would be to write a specific query to filter out the Community category. An alternative, might be to purchase the full version of Special Recent Posts which will add your content to the blog page through a shortcode that's customized. Test the free version http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/ which has the key codes you need well documented. That would let you include all the categories but exclude Community. Add the shortcode to your blog page and it will automatically override the WP blog function. Anything written on a blog page does that. I hope this helps. By the way, the pro full version is $6US

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur