Sign in to follow this  
owi_dv

broken hyperlinks to pdfs

owi_dv

I'm working on a new website for our non-profit. I'd like to create hyperlinks on several pages to pdf files of our reports. For example, see www.oregonwildlife.org/results. I've upload the pdf files to a subdirectory called /documents on our host server. It seems to me that the correct path to these pdfs should be www.oregonwildlife.org/documents/XXX.pdf . But this doesn't work. I checked in with my website host support and their rep says it's a WordPress issue, not a server problem on their end. What am I missing? I'm pretty new to Pagelines and WordPress so some of this basic stuff is still confusing.

owi_dv
I get a 404 page that looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/UU7Tx.jpg

Simon
http://www.oregonwildlife.org/documents/ does not exist. Also every one of those pdf files has spaces in the file names. The webserver will not serve files with spaces.

owi_dv
Well, MOST of those document names do have spaces and I will start fixing that today. But there are 2 links to pdfs with no spaces in their names. For example: www.oregonwildlife.org/documents/puma_report_2011_final.pdf These links still don't work, so clearly something else is wrong. But thanks for calling my attention to that problem.

Jenny
The URL is not the correct location for that file. Figure out the correct URL and use that. This is not something we can help you with. If you can't determine the URL on your own, I advise contacting your web host so they can look through your files and help you.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

owi_dv
Well, I did contact the web host first. They told me that those links are pointing to the correct directory. So they think there is a wordpress/pagelines quirk that is interfering with the link. So what makes you think that URL is incorrect?

owi_dv
The directory structure was created during the design of our previous website. At that time I went to into my control panel at the web host and I made a sub-directory called /documents to contain all the pdfs. When I started the new Pagelines website design, I was having a bit of trouble getting wordpress to work on my web host account, so one of their support reps just did it for me. It doesn't appear to me that he altered the directory sturcture, but I certainly could be wrong about this.