Sign in to follow this  
vetlaw

"The Latest" feed in my footer is not updating.

vetlaw

My site is www.veteranslawclinic.org. I'm just now putting up our new posts as the site comes online, but have noticed that the auto feed in the footer is not updating. Any idea how to either remove it or get it to work? Thanks! Justin

Jenny
Hi Justin. The "latest" pulls from your most recent post, so it should be automatic. If you want to get rid of it, then simply activate the footer section, select the number of columns you want, and add whatever widgets you want to the footer in Appearance -> Widgets.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

vetlaw
Thanks. I agree that it should pull from the latest post, but it's not. Instead it's pulling from a post back in 2010. Any other thoughts?

vetlaw
Also, I've tried reducing the number of columns in the footer section, but the template simply piles the same widgets on top of one another in fewer columns. I went into Appearances - Widgets, but I do not have the option of changing the widgets in the actual footer. I'm not using the morefooter.

vetlaw
I tried deleting that old post, but the latest feed simply pulled another 2010 post. It's not pulling from the posts I put up today. Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob
First, I'd recommend rebuilding your footer. To do this, make sure any custom language or images are noted (code, language, etc) in a text file you save to your desktop. Then, go to Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets and add widgets with the last one (at the top of the list) being a text widget where you place the code for the image on the left. Where you want the latest posts, add the Latest Posts widget and set it up for two topics to display. Save each widget individually. Clear any cache, then view. It should look the same except that the latest posts should be normal.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

vetlaw
Sorry, but this isn't working. I've not used the Appearances > Widgets area to build my footer (and, in fact, don't have a "sidebar" or "footer" in my widget area on which to place my widget footers). My footer has been built solely using the PageLines > Settings > Header & Footer area. In this area, there's no option to control "The Latest" feed, either to update it or remove it altogether.

Rob
Justin, may we have a link and could you tell us what product you're using? The footer is a sidebar located in the right column in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets and though we style ours as a multi-column one, the footer is standard in almost every theme. If it's not there, I'd like to figure out where it went. The product you're using might indicate that.

vetlaw
Thanks. I'm using PageLines Framework (updated from PageLines Platform Pro). The site is www.veteranslawclinic.org

Rob
The Latest Posts is a widget that's automatically built into the footer sidebar as part of our Framework. Unfortunately, the way the footer is configured, in order to replace the one widget, you need to rebuild the whole footer. I'm unsure why the Latest Posts widget is picking up an outdated post, but it seems to be failing, as I see the post isn't even linked. That's likely caused by a plugin conflict but I can't be sure. In Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets do you have a sidebar (right column) named "Footer Columns Sidebar"? Can you also check your plugins to see if everything is up to date? If your site's been up a while, it's possible one or more of the older plugins need to be replaced. Many plugins are created by hobbyists, who don't maintain them and when WordPress updates, these plugins sometimes fail.

vetlaw
Rangelone, The plug ins I use are all up to date. Also, none of my plug ins involve the footer. The footer is a standalone Framework widget. Yes, I have a "Footer Columns Sidebar" widget in my Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets section. The widget is empty. Please provide some guidance on how to rebuild my footer in Framework. Since I didn't build it (and simply typed in the information for the footer into the Pagelines > Settings > Header and Footer page, I don't how to do a rebuild. I'm not sure if this is related, but my custom CSS stopped working this weekend. It was working fine last week. The site simply isn't calling the custom CSS that I've typed into the PageLines > Settings > CSS section. Thoughts? Thanks, Justin

vetlaw
Good to go on the custom CSS issue. I moved everything over to the pagelines-customize/style.css plug-in and it all works fine. Still can't figure out the footer, though. I think I'll just recreate everything using the footer widget and omit the "Latest" post in the footer. Thanks.

vetlaw
Re-worked the "latest posts" issue by adding in a new widget for recent posts and adding it to the footer column sidebar. Not sure why the old widget (standard with WordPress) wasn't working. Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to close this post. Best, Justin