Sign in to follow this  
thomed

What's the best of handling Custom Post Types?

thomed

I have been running around in circles on this for a while now. I have declared my custom post type (CPT), and given it custom fields. These CPTs are 'Reviews' and have Fields like 'Overall Score (1-10)'. I want... 1 - to display these Reviews in the regular archive and tag flows 2 - to call the Custom Fields and display them in special ways/orders on the Single Post view. Is there a way to do this without messing with the core Pagelines Framework code? I've tried experimenting with sections but can't get the custom fields to work since theloop is handled by core.

Rob
I'm not even sure where to begin with this as it's more customization than I've done even on my own site, though I'm curious to see whatever you're building. I used a plugin called Custom Press to create custom taxonomies but it also creates CPTs and I believe, fields, but don't quote me on that point. There may be some help finding the existing CPTs in one of the topics posted here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/16222/common-questions-and-customizations

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

thomed
I've been OK getting the custom fields setup, and I've been able to populate them, but where do I modify what would have been single.php (in normal wordpress terms) to actually display the contents of the field (when available).

thomed
The goal is to be able to include the review-specific microdata that search engines can pick up to enhance how the results are displayed. So I need to be able to isolate fields like Title, Product Image, Overall Score and render in the HTML with appropriate microdata tags. I cannot make this part of the overall theme since not every post on the site is going to be a review. So figure there are two approaches... 1 - have a separate content type and style it differently on the single post pages. 2 - have posts, but with an optional Pagelines Section that when completed displays the review complete with microdata wrappers on the appropriate fields. In case 1 - I've run into having to mess with the core to change how single posts are rendered. In case 2 - I've slammed into the formatting limitations of Section Metafields. They're really only designed for raw/unstyled data, so the rich html editing functions I'd get from the regular post content are not available. [url]http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/17759/use-the-standard-rich-text-editor-in-metatab-settings#Item_1[/url]

catrina
I don't have any experience rendering HTML with microdata tags, but perhaps someone else with more insight can be more helpful. Which child theme are you using?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse