Sign in to follow this  
jackirenee

Showing Secondary Navigation on Category Pages

jackirenee
Yes, I have secondary nav, site branding, and navigation

Jenny
Secondary Nav uses child pages for navigation. Categories can't really have child pages.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jackirenee
Any suggestions for a work around based on how I currently have the page designed?

catrina
You can try to add a menu with the secondary nav links using a hook added to the header. Are you familiar with implementing hooks?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

jackirenee
No, I have no idea how to use hooks.

Jenny
http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jackirenee
I'm sorry that was like a alien language to me. I choose this theme because of its drag and drop function. If I was to use a hook - what would the code look like that I would place in function.php?

Rob
Hi, the problem is that category pages are dynamically created, versus static pages, where you put the content there yourself. Category pages thus can't really use specific secondary nav, but they should be able to use a global secondary nav. Do you have a specific secondary nav menu created in Dashboard > Appearance > Menus? On your PlatformPro settings panel, under [b]Posts Page Secondary Navigation[/b], select the secondary nav you created. I'd suggest unchecking the option to use child pages.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jackirenee
I have a secondary navigation selected on dashboard>appearance>menu. If I have secondary navigation as part of my site header, shouldn't it appear just like my main navigation? Also, where do I uncheck the option to use child pages?

Rob
Hi, go to Dashboard > PlatformPro > Header and Nav and scroll down to "Use Child Pages for Secondary Nav" and uncheck the box there. Also, to select the secondary nav you created in Appearance > Menus as your global secondary nav, scroll just a bit further down to Posts Page Secondary Navigation which appear on posts pages. Yes, it will be like, but does not replace you regular navigation menu. You might find this helpful. http://www.pagelines.com/docs/menus-navigation

jackirenee
The "Use Child Pages" was never checked. And the secondary navigation was selected on Posts Page Secondary Navigation.

jackirenee
Yep. I always had it set the way you suggested.

jackirenee
Deactivating the plugins did not help.

Rob
I'll have to report this as a bug. I don't believe the secondary nav will work on dynamically created pages.

jackirenee
Can you explain the difference between my "front" page and the category pages as far as being dynamically created and why the secondary nav would show on one but not the other. Also, someone suggested using hooks? Would that work and how I would I go about doing this?

catrina
The front page is a main page (just like a regular page), but category pages aren't created that same way (i.e. - you can't just create a category page, a category needs to be created in the Settings and then the page for that category is created). A hook is code written and added to the functions.php file (in the child base theme) to put a certain element in a certain part of the site without actually editing the core files. It may work, but you'll need to use CSS to hide it on certain pages where the secondary is already showing (since you wouldn't want duplicates.)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse