Sign in to follow this  
Gavin_

jQuery Slider advice

Gavin_

Hi looking for some advice or guidance re sliders if you are in the UK you may have seen the new homepage slider of the http://www.bbc.co.uk/ - my client has and wants us to recreate something similar on their site. i have spent hours looking at sliders and none seems to support this kind of action (esp. the latest news/posts) aspects can any one help thanks

Danny
Hi Gavin, Yeah I'm from the UK and I've seen the new BBC website and I have to say, I think that slider is very confusing, I prefer the original design tbh. However, I have absolutely no idea how to do that, if I even attempted it, I would probably blow up my PC. It may be possible to do this via a custom section. I recommend you either wait and see if another Forum support mod can point you in the right direction or you contact the support desk hello[at]pagelines.com and request a PageLines Pro. FYI, the PageLines Pro program is currently being revised.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Gavin_
thanks Danny - i'll wait to see what comes back

catrina
I'm not a developer so I don't have experience with recreating jQuery sliders and I haven't seen any jQuery sliders like the one on the BBC website. I would recommend getting in touch with the support desk.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Gavin_
thanks catrina yeah i spent hours looking at millions of free/paid jquery sliders and none came close. what happened to the hire a pro page? if anyone would like to contact me with ideas/quotes...

catrina
The Pro Page is still being worked on. If you'd like, you can contact hello@pagelines.com and explain to them what you're looking for so that they can forward it to someone who can help you.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Gavin_
ok catrina - i'll look at that in the meantime if any one else has any ideas feel free to chip in :)

Rob
Gavin, Like Danny and Catrina, I think this is going to require professional customization. However, let me note that it appears they've moved the footer navigation to the top, adding an area for the subject or category, changed from a transparent to opaque area for the article title and blurb and added navigation buttons. None of these are terribly difficult, provided a pro worked on it. Unfortunately the forum isn't really set up for this type of customization. One thing I can say is that in the meantime, your client can have a little of their wishes. PageLines 2.x now has a much improved slider when it comes to post category mode. If your client assigns posts to a specific category and that's the one used for the slider, then every new post will be added to the slider. You just need a specific category dedicated to the slider. The images should be the feature image from each post. If you write short, clear excerpts, they will be the default blurb and the post title becomes the slider title automatically. I hope this helps.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Gavin_
thanks for the help we are getting some custom help our main challenge is wanting a mixture of static and dynamic content now

kracker
That is actually a free slider, hunting it down, I tinkered with it today.

kracker
here you go http://recent-posts-slider.com/

Gavin_
thanks @Kracker