Sign in to follow this  
tandan

Accessibility Issues & Solutions

tandan

Hi there, I'm trying to make the site http://www.cabvi.mpwclient.com as accessible as possible to the blind and visually impaired to comply with American Disabilities Act (ADA). One of the fixes I've been told I need to make is to add skip links after the content and the footer to go back to the top. Can someone help me on this? Should I modifying header.php? If so, how do I do that in the base theme to comply with best practices? Thank you for your help! Best, Tan

tandan
Hi Catrina, I"m using the Pagelines Framework and new to Pagelines. Can you also let me know if how to set up tabbing for navigation so that if people are not using a mouse, they can still navigate? I tried to turning off all images, stylesheets and could not navigate at all without a mouse. Thank you so much!!

Rob
I suspect you're going to need intensive customization for this site. Let me explain why. Most computers today, whether in a Windows or Mac environment have browser settings the individual can change based on the nature of their handicap. For someone blind or visually disabled, audio often works as a great means of guiding people. However, if someone's hearing impaired, audio has no value. To deal with this, you'd need custom applications within the site to detect browser settings and potentially computer settings so that the correct form of alternatives may be displayed or implemented. Then, you need a completely different copy of your site based on how it's to be viewed or heard. Finally, for audio, there are some outstanding web-based premium plugins that read your content, menus or image alts to the visually impaired. They're not cheap but well worth the price. The ones I've seen that are free sound terribly digitized and very much like a computer is talking to you. The premium ones sound very close to natural. Have you considered bringing in a Pro to help with this? If so, please cite this topic in an email to [email protected] and ask for a quote.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

tandan
Thanks for your response, Rangelone! As I said above, I'm only I'm only looking to have certain access keys set for the page. I found a plug in for access keys but I'm also trying to figure out why my page can't be tabbed through just in case there isn't a mouse. Blind visitors people would not be using a mouse as they can't point anywhere. How can I accomplish this? I'd also like to know how to do it so I comply with Pagelines best practices (what file do I change). Please see above thread if you have any questions. I am not looking for anything outside those parameters at this moment. Thank you! Tan

catrina
I agree with Robert. It is quite an intensive customization, and I don't have any experience in implementing that level of customization. I would strongly consider getting in touch with the support desk about this. There are guidelines online, but they're not specific to the PageLines Framework.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

tandan
Thanks, Catrina and Robert for your feedback. Best, Tan

richfavinger
I think you should consider contacting software manufacturers like Serotek (makers of System Access) a leading screen reader program to learn how their software reads links and menus. I also think some are overcomplicating the issues. Many of the functions are built into the client side. Some are as simple as making sure EVERY THING is properly labeled, and photos have descriptions. Also the use of Tab indexes. I would hope the good folks at PageLines strongly consider building accessibility into the framework from the ground up. Following W3C standards. Blind people use screen readers, deaf people count on text and captions... if your deaf-blind they use refreshable Braille displays. Don't count any one out. :) I say this because my soon to be wife is blind, and uses the web every day. I try to make my blog and her blog as assessable as I can to her and others.
  • Like 1

tandan
HI Rich, Thank you for your suggestion. I'll try to contact them! I agree that they should have accessibility built more into the framework. Especially since it's hard for a non-coder to go in and change any of the framework to make it more accessible. It's so important but I have no idea how to start! In any case, I have had horrible sight since I was six years old. Not anything near being blind but I remember being so afraid of a life without my vision and as we get older, well, the odds are that our sight will go slowly. I really wanted to work on this site because it was an organization that is so close to my heart and I feel like it's important to build an accessible site that is actually functional for the blind. It seems that what I'm finding in my research is that although sighted developers and designers mean well, maybe some things we implement may conflict with screen readers? And access keys are often times not even used because most visitors don't know they're there. And the text size plug in that I implemented--well, all browsers DO have the ability to resize text with shortcut keys. What is REALLY necessary? How does your fiancee use the internet? Is it hard for her to navigate? What do you do for your sites? Do you use Pagelines and have you found it accessible at all?