Sign in to follow this  
pernillaoberg

"Continue reading"-link disappears when changing css for full post?

pernillaoberg

I've tried code from kastelic in another thread to create full content on first post but somehow I then loose the "continue reading"-links/arrows. How can I keep them along with the full first post + my post excerpts i magazine mode? Settings->Custom CSS:

.blog .post .entry_wrap {display:none;}
	.blog .post-number-1 .entry_wrap { display: block; }
	.blog .post-number-1 .post-excerpt { display: none; }

For the moment I have removed the code since the site is online and I need the "read more"-links. I like the thumbnail in the first post, I want to keep that - just that I want to show the hole first post content with all the text/images... http://www.akersjon.com Thanks in advance, Pernilla

catrina
I see the arrows in the "continue reading" links just fine. Are those what you're referring to?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

pernillaoberg
Hi Catrina! Yes, for now they are showing because I removed kastelic's code that I tried for a while - I removed the code because I discovered that the links disappeared when I used it so I went back to the original settings, sorry if I couldn't explain that before. My question is how to get the first post to show full content without the "continue reading"-link, and at the same time the post excerpts to show the continue-links/arrows? I have found some discussion here on the forum about it but I haven't found a topic on how to keep the continue-links. If I can show the full content in the first post visitors don't have to first click a link to continue reading and then click again to proceed to the linked pages I aim to direct them to - in a full content post it's more likely that people end up where I want them to, in this case a page with a weekend-offer about ice-fishing. Here are some pics: [img]http://pernillapagelines.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pageline-support-17.jpg[/img] Original settings i magazine-layout = visitors have to click to continue reading. If they do they come to the full post and then they have to click AGAIN to end up at the page I want them to go to. A better solution would be to have the full content with links straight to the page the blogpost is referring to! Adding code in Settings->Custom CSS: [code].blog .post .entry_wrap {display:none;} .blog .post-number-1 .entry_wrap { display: block; } .blog .post-number-1 .post-excerpt { display: none; }[/code] Result: [img]http://pernillapagelines.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pageline-support-16.jpg[/img] = First post without content, but ???Continue reading ->???-links showing! Changing settings to show full post on post/blog-page: [img]http://pernillapagelines.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pageline-support-13.jpg [/img] Result = fist post showing full content but ???continue reading???-links dissaperes in post excerpts: [img]http://pernillapagelines.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pageline-support-15.jpg[/img]

Danny
I have viewed your website and noticed that you have an error that is related to a plug-in called "html5shiv". Try disabling this and see if this resolves the issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!

pernillaoberg
Hi Danny! I have now deleted the plug-in you referred to and reinserted kastelic's code again, but as before I then loose the continue-reading-links/arrows... Any suggestions?

Rob
The method I've used has been to copy the entire post into the post excerpt for the most recent post, changing it back to a short excerpt when a new post is ready for publication. It's a labor intensive option but it works. First post wouldn't have a "Continue Reading" option.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

pernillaoberg
Thanks for your answer Rangelone but I'm sorry I don't get it - how do you mean "copy into a post exerpt" and "changing it back"? Would that show the full content of the first post in magazine mode? I guess I could edit the exerpts when posting a new post and write "Read more ->" at the end of the text that is showing in the exerpt... Any other suggestions pls?

pernillaoberg
I just changed the amount of words from default 55 to 80 in Settings->Blog&Posts->ExerptsLength and then shortened some of the old posts for symmetry in the BlogPage. Guess I'll have to keep the posts short and be sure to end them with a link from now on, unless someone has some magic code?

Rob
I'm sorry I was unclear. Okay, let's say the most recent post is 4 paragraphs long. You would copy the entire content from the post (in visual edit mode), then manually paste it into the excerpt field within that post. From an SEO perspective, the best way to get attention from search engines is to have a distinct excerpt per post, rather than relying upon WordPress to read the top 55 or 80 words and displaying them in blog pages. The reason is that the search bots don't read blog pages with the same level of priority that they do posts. If there's no specific post excerpt, then the SEO response will be low. Adding your own excerpt to each post gives you individuality as far as search engines are concerned, and improved results and traffic to your site. To make this effective, you'd change the number from 80 to blank and write an excerpt for each post. I usually use the first one or two sentences from the post. Each time you add a new post, make sure the excerpt field includes the whole post. But this means going to the last post and editing the excerpt to a smaller excerpt, thus it's a bit labor intensive. Still, it achieves your goal with no coding and helps immensely with search engine optimization. Writing excerpts individually, adding fresh content and using keywords are the three most effective means of improved search engine results. I know because using this my site reached No. 2 most popular food and magazine site in Yahoo and went from less than 400,000 page views a month this time last year to 2.4 Million last month. My unique visitor have also climbed by about 500 percent.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

pernillaoberg
Rangelone, it varms my heart that someone like you (and the rest of the PageLines crew) takes the time to explain things like these to someone like me! I'll have to get some sleep now and will go through your advise thoroughly tomorrow! Thank you so much! With humble regards, Pernilla