Sign in to follow this  
alainafrederick

Creating a Contributing Authors Page

alainafrederick

I'd like to be able to make a page on my site similar to this one: http://www.themobsociety.com/our-authors/ I know they are not using Pagelines but I'd like to have a page that pulls from all the gravatars and the user descriptions set up. Basically just like what's at the end of each post but one page with them all on there. I don't want all of my users on there just the contributing authors. Also would there be a way to prioritize them so that those like myself that are owner of the site would be first then it would go down from there perhaps in alphabetical order? I don't know a lot of code or anything so is there a function I'm not seeing to do this in Pagelines already??

trying to figure out all the capabilities of pagelines

catrina
I looked at the page and I think it can be accomplished on PageLines using a regular page with boxes that are set up to display in two columns (and all other template sections can be hidden). Each box can be dedicated to each author (and you get to choose the contributing authors you want to show). At the bottom of each box, you can set up the link for the author posts and any other links you want to display. Does that make sense?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

alainafrederick
It does make sense but I have NO clue how to go about it.

Jenny
Create a new box set called something like "authors." Then create a new box for each author, and then have the link URL for each box point to the author page you would like to reference. Make sure you select the "authors" box set for each box. For help with Boxes (and other topics), please visit the [url="http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Boxes_Section"]PageLines Wiki[/url].

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

alainafrederick
I started this page but even though I have it selected to show the image at the left it refuses and it's on top. Also, when doing the features I was able to use [code]Main Words words[/code] within the title. I tried doing this so that I could have the persons name and then their role in smaller text but it's not working.

alainafrederick
Also, there is no rhyme or reason to the order of the boxes. I've tried putting some that I want at the bottom that they were published in 2008 so that the people with higher roles are at the top but the order stays the same. I'd like to have myself and my Asst Editor at the top then the frequent contributors then the interns then the less frequent contributors. But I'm unable to control the arrangement of the boxes. Is there some way I guess to just have a page that has two columns and then I'll just have to add everyones information manually which I'm doing now anyway cause I can't just pull from their gravatar and user information/description.

catrina
If you want to re-order the boxes the way you want, you need to install and activate this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-types-order/

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

alainafrederick
That plugin worked great for changing the order. Now the only thing that refuses to fix itself is the photo alignment. It is on top of the boxes even though it's selected for it to be to the left.

Jenny
Did you tell it to display on the left within the boxes themselves? Are your image sizes settings possibly set too large?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

alainafrederick
I checked the boxes themselves and there is no image setting there - just to upload/add the link to the image. On the page I checked and it's set for inline/to the left of the box. I changed the image to 50 pixels it was set at 100. The images are still on top of the boxes instead of to the left. I published the page with a password so you all can look at it. I still need to edit everyones profile and add more but the images are driving me bonkers. http://dinkerandgiggles.com/contributors password: test

Rob
Alaina, In looking at your site, I'm seeing Soapboxes, not Boxes. Did you do this intentionally? I ask because you mentioned boxes consistently. On a side note, on my blog, I created individual pages for each of my writers. Here's an example: http://www.epicurus.com/blog/about/our-people/dylan-barnes This is a static page, with the thumbnail (author's photo), a blurb about the author and a list of posts by the author. The list of posts can include thumbnails from each post and is present on the page using Special Recent Posts. I do this by coordinating a category for the author (each post written by the author is in his or her own category) and setting the list of Special Recent Posts to that category on that page (all done using a shortcode).

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

alainafrederick
I went to the "boxes" tab on the sidebar and created a new one for each author. I then created a page called "Contributors" and I selected the boxes from the templates then picked on the Boxes tab from the author set that I have. I did not do anything with the Soapboxes. If I did it was not intentional.

catrina
Soapboxes are different from Boxes (they're set up the same way but they look different). Do you want to stick to these soapboxes?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

alainafrederick
I just want the page to look like the one linked to in the opening question I thought for sure I selected Boxes and the box settings but whatever I am a little slower LOL - just need to get it fixed so it looks nice :)

catrina
I checked your contributors page and it looks fine, but it just needs some styling to more closely match the sample page you posted. Do you want the links at the bottom to be styled the same way?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

alainafrederick
Not necessarily I just want the images to be to the left - having them on the top is driving me nutso.

Rob
Alaina, I've used the plugin Boxer http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/boxer/ most successfully to create similar looking boxes. By the way, the primary difference between a box and soapbox is that a soapbox includes links at the bottom. You can use feature images with Boxer plugin and specify where you want them (see the Recipes and Drinks groups at http://www.epicurus.com/magazine/). I use top images, but it's easily aligned left as you wish (a built in option). Alternatively, using our boxes, you can try creating an author post with thumbnail/feature image) and applying Special Recent Posts http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/ if you put that author in his/her own category.

alainafrederick
Ahh okay well these are not SoapBoxes as I manually typed those links in when I made the box. I really hate to use another plugin but will give this a try.

alainafrederick
This isn't working either. In the video it has to add a featured image and other items and when I go to edit these boxes there is nothing there to do it.

alainafrederick
Well I got the boxes to work and they look nice however I am unable to add a featured image as the video shows in the directions. Is it perhaps because of the Pagelines default box setup? Also, I'm assuming if I want more than one link/button I'd have to upgrade to pro?

Rob
Alaina, there are two ways to do this. On the right column, near the bottom you may see an option to add a Feature Image (as you would a post thumbnail) or, at the top of the editing box in your box page, you can use the Media upload function, add your image, then at the bottom, use the Use as Feature Image option.

alainafrederick
Unfortunately when I'm in the box edit or even add a new box neither of those are there and I checked the screen options and there is no option to show it. I even tried to upload a photo and it does not have the link to "Set as Featured Image" either. I've done the featured image hundreds of times so I know how/where to do it but unfortunately neither of these options are there. I wonder is there perhaps a work around using custom fields?

catrina
The "Set as Featured Image" setting is for uploading a thumbnail for a blog post. Are you trying to upload an image icon for the box or add an image inside the box itself?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

njumara
Depending on the layout you want, you could also skip boxes altogether and do this: 1)Create a Category called "Authors" or whatever 2)Create a blog post for each individual author and put it in that category 3)Create a page called "Contributing Authors" or whatever 4)Re-direct the page to http://yoursite.com/category/authors 5)Set your site to magazine mode and tell it to display in clip excerpt format. 6)Use post types order or change the date of the post to send them off of your blog feed way in the back so they don't show up at the front of the blog This is what I did for a "Collaborators" section and with post types order I can put them in any order I want, alphabetical, most verbose, whatever.

alainafrederick
I'm trying to create boxes - if you notice on their video for adding a box it allows them to upload a image and set a featured image. I'd like to do this but the Pagelines does not have this in the boxes area the only way to add a image is in the Pagelines box meta setting but when I use it the image does not show up anywhere. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YY2E6Od-KM8