Sign in to follow this  
carldavaz

What's the difference between WP Custom Post/Content Type and PL sections?

carldavaz

I am converting an ExpressionEngine blog to Wordpress (with a PageLines theme) and I have decided to use Custom Post Types to separate my ~15 blogs. Note: I don't want to use MultiSite to separate my blogs. Before I commit to custom post types for each blog, I am wondering if I should use Sections instead? Or, maybe a combination of custom post types and sections? Are sections a PL-specific thing? What's the difference between Custom Post Types and Sections? How would you harness the power of the PageLines Framework to setup ~15 different blogs/bloggers (other than using categories or multisite)? Any tips ya'll could provide would be spectacular! Thanks so much in advance! Cheers, Micky

Andrew
Ya, that's a tough one... Using categories or a taxonomy doesn't do the trick for you? Neither sections or CPTs were designed with this in mind; but I'd agree that you could do this through some Custom Post Type programming. Why not use multisite? seems like the perfect application.

carldavaz
Hi arpowers! Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. :) Categories: I would want each blogger to have their own categories (tags would suffice)... At this point, I'm not sure if CPTs will allow this. Taxonomy: I will have to look into this. I have yet to learn about taxonomies. Thanks for tip. WPMS just seems like overkill and more overhead than what I want to handle... Based on this blog post: [url="http://tech.ipstenu.org/2011/dont-use-wordpress-multisite/"]Don??™t Use WordPress MultiSite[/url] I've come to the conclusion that Multisite is not the direction I want to head... All of my blogs will need to be cohesive, connected and share the same look/feel/layout. I dunno, I guess I am open to ideas, but MS just seems like a lot of unnecessary overhead? Thanks again arpowers!!!! Much appreciated. :) Cheers, Micky

catrina
Hm, I'm not familiar with alternatives to multisite and using different categories. It sounds like a challenge. Maybe someone else with more experience has more insight.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

carldavaz
Hi catrina and arpowers, thanks so much for your pro help and assistance. Having researched taxonomies, CPTs and categories and I am [b]now[/b] considering WPMS. If I were to enable MS, how hard is it to share a single theme between sites? From what I have seen, I think I would have to export and import PageLine settings from blog to blog? I guess I am most worried about the long term maintainability of setting up 15 WPMS whilst needing the ability to have all of them look/feel/behave the same way. What would be the recommended workflow for PageLines theme that was shared across all MS blogs? Looks like I have a lot more research to do... Googling now for "[url="https://www.google.com/search?q=wordpress+multisite+shared+theme&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a"]wordpress multisite shared theme[/url]". :D Thanks again!!!

catrina
[quote]If I were to enable MS, how hard is it to share a single theme between sites? From what I have seen, I think I would have to export and import PageLine settings from blog to blog?[/quote] Personally I've never used MS so I don't know how difficult it would be. Maybe someone else who has it used or is using it can provide insight! Sorry I don't have any.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

carldavaz
Hi Catrina! Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it. :) From what I have heard, theme settings are on a per blog basis, so the settings would have to be exported/imported. That's not such a biggy I suppose... It is what it is. :D I figure once I have things setup I won't have to change things much. Thanks again for you help!

carldavaz
Oh, and I think I am going with WPMS. It just seems to make sense in our case. Thanks catrina and arpowers for the help!