Sign in to follow this  
iamtheeverydaygirl

add a column in magazine layout?

iamtheeverydaygirl

I'd like to add a third column on my magazine layout. I'm using the category pages ... right now it's showing two columns. Any idea how I would add a third?

Rob
Well, you can't normally. It would take some work. First you'll need two plugins: Special Recent Posts and Boxer. You won't be able to use category pages dynamically created anymore. Instead, each will be a manually created page. With both plugins activated, you'll have to create a box set for the category, structure it with three boxes in the content area of the page. Inside each box, you include a specific number of posts using Special Recent Posts, also using offset to avoid duplication. This is not going to be easy by any measure.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

iamtheeverydaygirl
Haha -- ok, I think you've talked me out of it! :) It seems that there is WAY too much potential for me to screw things up ... and I'm not so opposed to the two columns. Quick question for you though -- with the category pages, regardless of how many posts -- do they all stay on one page, or does it ever go to a second page, third page, etc. That might not be too clear -- but I'm wondering if I have 100 posts, will I have 50 rows of pictures/text (magazine layout) on one page? (I'm wondering for page upload speed, etc.) Other than that - I'm set with the two columns! Thanks!

Rob
On the matter of the blog pages, you will have a limit per page, generally set up in Dashboard > Settings > Reading under [b]Blog pages show at most[/b]. After that set number, they paginate. As for the magazine columns, good choice.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

iamtheeverydaygirl
One last thing -- I just set up the limit per page as you said .... But now, when I'm on my category page - I see the limit for the page (2 blog posts), but I don't see a place to click for the next page. No "next page" or anything like that .... Am I missing something?