Sign in to follow this  
israel_smith

Sidebar position priority when page width changes

israel_smith

Hi gang, Not sure how to properly articulate this in one phrase, but basically I want to specify which sidebar disappears first if/when the browser width changes. E.g. in a sidebar-content-sidebar layout, I have been testing the responsive behaviour by dragging my browser width back & forth to see what changes, what scales, what happens to menus/sidebars/etc, if it's working etc etc. Currently, as the browser narrows, the right sidebar drops first (to below the content) when it becomes too narrow, then when it gets narrower still, the left sidebar drops and it becomes single column. INSTEAD, I'd like the left sidebar to drop first, and keep the right sidebar as the "sticky" one that stays there until it gets to single-column-width. Help! How would I do this? I can't post a sample link to my page as I'm developing locally at the moment, but this behaviour can be seen on Pagelines sidebar-content-sidebar layout straight out of the box. Thanks, Israel.

Rob
Israel, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but this request is impossible to achieve. The order of transition is based on the browser over which we have no control. I don't believe our programmers or developers nor our Pros could possibly, conceivably, remotely come close to this request. No one, to the very best of my knowledge, could achieve this. I am unsure why it matters, but whatever you believe would cause a need to set this order is not going to be a common occurrence so honestly, nothing to worry about. This sorta reminds me of the guy who sees his doctor and shows the physician that it hurts when he gets himself into an odd position. The doctor tells him, just don't do that.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

israel_smith
rangelone... surely if it's already been done by other websites it's possible within Pagelines/CSS/HTML5? Every browser I've tried with Pagelines has behaved in exactly the same way (Safari, Firefox, IE, Chrome, etc) - right sidebar drops first, then left sidebar. I've seen other sites which transition in the opposite way. Actually, check out Robb Sutton's website (built on Genesis... oooh gosh) robbsutton.com Now adjust the width of your browser making it narrower/wider and you'll see what I mean. His left sidebar drops first, then the right one. Wouldn't this indicate that in fact it's not browser related, but rather CSS/HTML5 related? Also, while I appreciate the intended humour/sentiment of the physician story, I actually find it condescending. I do have my reasons for this request - If a user is viewing my site on a tablet/netbook then the site visuals will necessarily be different to a fully fledged laptop/desktop screen, and again different to a smartphone. My intention is that the sidebar on the left will include awards, industry associations, and other links which are important, but not site critical. The right sidebar will include navigation, features, and other important stuff that I want to stay as much as possible. I don't think I'm particularly unique in wanting to control how my site reacts to different browser widths, frankly isn't that the point behind responsive design, and a framework that supposedly supports this? What I have, is the certain knowledge that it has been done elsewhere. What I don't have, is the understanding as to how they achieved it, nor what I would need to do in Pagelines to replicate it. Any help from you or anyone else on this front would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Israel.

catrina
Which websites have you seen that do this? I haven't paid enough to attention to which sidebars drop down first when a browser is resized. If anything, I'm not certain it would be possible to control this. I tried Googling this issue but I haven't come up with anything.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse