Sign in to follow this  
owi_dv

Sidebars not showing, Part II

owi_dv

Well, I continue to have problems with sidebars on some pages. For instance, Nothing is showing in the SB1 area on box pages. I've confirmed that the primary sidebar is active is the SB1 template area (double checked its not hidden by default). In the layout editor, I have the default layout set as having one sidebar in the right. I am still not sure I understand the advice from rangealone in response to my original post. In template setup--do each of the page type templates really need sidebars set up individually? Because it sure seems that sidebar areas are global settings. Nevertheless, I've got a sidebar on my default page layout and I can't seem to show a sidebar on a box page if my life depended on it. Thanks to rangealone and kastelic for their suggestions so far. My draft website can be viewed at www.oregonwidlife.org/wp/ Dave

Rob
Dave, if you're going to post a follow up, please include a link to the previous topic so that moderators and fellow users can follow the thread or just keep going with the original thread. Presuming you have 2.1x activated, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Meta and select one of the page templates. Let's say "Blog Page" for an example. You will see that there you must also select the layout, choosing the sidebar format you prefer for any blog pages you create. Repeat that with each of the template formats. I'm sorry if I got this incorrect earlier. Hope it did not inconvenience you. The lack of this setup will result in sidebars not showing up where they belong unless the proper template structure, or layout, is selected and configured.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

owi_dv
I'm afraid I hit "accept" before the problem was actually resolved. I'll make sure to include a link to related posts in the future. Yep, I do have 2.2.1 installed. Following your directions, I go to Dashboard > Pagelines > Meta. What I see are a list of special page types on the left-- Blog Page, Archive Page, Search Results, Etc. and for each of those types I can select Page Setup and then choose a layout with sidebars. Got that. Those are the pages that I'm successfully able to show sidebars. It's all the other pages on my website (www.oregonwildlife.org/wp) that aren't one of these types that I'm struggling with. For example, http://www.oregonwildlife.org/wp/?page_id=66. How do I select a layout for this page? If this is indeed a Blog Page, something else is wrong because I've set Blog Pages to a layout with 1 sidebar on the right at Dashboard > Pagelines > Meta, then confirmed that in Template Setup I have activated the primary sidebar in SB1 content area. Thanks for sticking with this rangealone. There must be some setting I'm missing, but heck if I can find it. Link to the original discussion: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/17390/sidebars-not-showing#Item_5

catrina
http://www.oregonwildlife.org/wp/?page_id=66 isn't a blog page, it is a regular page (a default page), so that may clear up some confusion.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

owi_dv
Yes, that does clarify a point of my confusion catrina. Thanks. But that still leaves me hanging as to rangealone's directions for selecting a layout for regular pages at Dashboard > Pagelines > Meta. I'm not seeing it. dave

catrina
You can select a layout mode in the PageLines Meta Settings in the page editor for that page (they are below the text/HTML editor box).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

owi_dv
I hope the link to the embedded image works. It shows a screenshot of the meta settings for the "People" page I mentioned earlier (http://www.oregonwildlife.org/wp/?page_id=66). If you can see the screenshot, you will observe I do indeed have a layout with one right sidebar selected, yet the sidebar is not visible on the page. It must be some other setting that is wrong. [img]E:WebsitesPagelinesmeta2.jpg[/img]

catrina
You will need to upload your image to http://imgur.com and then post the image URL here.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Jenny
Do you actually have anything in that sidebar?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

owi_dv
Yes. In the template settings I've activated the primary sidebar in SB1 area, then placed a custom menu widget in that sidebar. The sidebar and content do appear in the blog page on my site, and as far as I can tell, the settings are the same for the other pages (except my home/feature page). So its still a mystery why I can't make the sidebar show on the "People" and "Results" page.

Rob
Can you send me a private message via the Inbox link at the top of this page with a time you're available tomorrow. I am in EST, so please adjust your available time to that. We can do an under-the-hood screen sharing where we can see your settings and make sure everything's right. Thanks for your patience.

Rob
That page is using Boxes which are normally full width. I think that may be the reason. If they're not set up inside the content area for a new special template, then they will bump the sidebars off screen. Also, is the bottom center box supposed to be in Greek?

owi_dv
Well perhaps that is the problem. I would like to use boxes and a sidebar if possible. Yes, that box is supposed to be Greek until Ruth gets around to sending me her bio. I've just sent you a private note.

owi_dv
I did it! It was the comment by rangealone about box pages being full width that cause me to go back and tinker with the template settings. I switched the boxes widget out of the Page Template area and replaced it with the Content widget. Then I activated boxes in the Content Area. Thanks again for your assistance! Dave

Rob
No problem!