Sign in to follow this  
thorstone137

Why must buddypress override page templates?

thorstone137

So I'm really looking for the ability to add widgets and sections to my bp pages. As far as I can tell I can't do this. Are there any major road blocks here or is this functionality limited because you were hoping to get basic bp support going? Thanks!

Best Regards! Pagelines = Innovation!

thorstone137
I've noticed that you might be having issues with the BP adminbar "buddybar".. FYI.. With the latest version of Buddypress you can force BP to use the wordpress adminbar /* ** Add the following to wp-config.php ** Removes BP admin bar and replaces it with the WP admin bar */ define( ???BP_USE_WP_ADMIN_BAR??™, true ); Maybe this will open up some doors?

Simon
[code]Maybe this will open up some doors?[/code] Well it will give you the main admin bar. If thats what you want.

thorstone137
Thanks Pross. The reason I said "Maybe this will open up some doors?" is because I noticed this in the pagelines-buddypress/style.css file /* BuddyPress Admin Bar (sucks) */ #wp-admin-bar { background:rgba(0,0,0, .7); } #wp-admin-bar li a:hover, #wp-admin-bar ul li ul a:hover{ background:rgba(0,0,0, 1); } #wp-admin-bar .padder { background: none; } And this in pagelines-buddypress/pagelines-buddypress.php files // Add css on all pages, because of admin bar $style = sprintf( '%s/%s', $this->base_url, 'style.css' ); wp_register_style( 'plbp-style', $style ); wp_enqueue_style( 'plbp-style' ); And really it's more than that. Buddypress is only supporting the buddybar for backwards compatibility reasons. When using the wordpress admin you get all your buddypress links and your buddypress avatar integrated into the top right drop down section.. Much cleaner! can you help me with this question.. "So I'm really looking for the ability to add widgets and sections to my bp pages. As far as I can tell I can't do this. Are there any major road blocks here or is this functionality limited because you were hoping to get basic bp support going?"

Simon
As i explained in another thread. Buddypress hijacks the templating system, it does this because its the only way it can dynamically load pages/templates because of the way wordpress does not allow you to filter main page templates. We use the same template_redirect to hook into to draw our sections, BP removes this action and replaces it with its own. So if/when the wordpress devs give us and BP a filter to use we are stuck.

thorstone137
Gotcha.. I wonder what other benefits we might be able to present the WP devs for allowing the filtering of main page templates? Have you guys submitted a feature request to the wordpress folks?

Simon
Yes, 2 years ago. http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13265

thorstone137
Have you guys taken a stab at building a plugin that would test this theory? I would but, my skills aren't there yet..