Sign in to follow this  
gregoryj77

Customizing the branding section

gregoryj77

I'm using the base theme and I'm trying to create a good looking branding section. I can't figure out how to add a few lines of text to my branding section (in a font, size, and position that I want). Is this where I would need to "hook" a text box to that area? I thought about using a callout section as the brand, but I need another line of text. And would like to alter the size of the lettering. I just thought about using a callout as a workaround, but actually want my logo on the left side as in the normal branding section. I apologize if I'm a little off on my terms, I hope this is understood. Thanks for any help.

catrina
Yes, you are right. You will need to add a hook with a text box in the branding area. I think it's a better option than using the callout section since you'd have to manipulate the callout even further to get the look you want. When it comes to hooks, the first thing you need to know is which hook you need. There is a hook for each part of the site layout. Since you already know that you want the text box in the branding area, you're going to need a hook for branding area. Does that make sense so far? Are you using PlatformPro 1.5.3 + PlatformBase?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

gregoryj77
Thanks Catrina! I'm on Pagelines Framework 2.0.1 with Base Theme 1.0.2. I think that makes sense. So I get the hook and then paste it into the CSS section? I see a list of hooks at http://api.pagelines.com/hooks. I don't really know what to do with them :/.

catrina
You get the hook you need from the list at http://api.pagelines.com/hooks (they're all labeled as ACTIONS) and it's used in the functions.php file in Base. Since you want one for the branding section, you'll need this hook: pagelines_before_branding_icons

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

gregoryj77
Ok, so the whole things reads: ACTION pagelines_before_branding_icons sections/branding/section.php line: 30 So I go through wordpress to Appearance, Editor, Theme functions (functions.php). Then what exactly do I paste (the whole line?) and where to I paste it? Thanks, Greg

catrina
There is an example of a hook outlined and explained in this topic. I hope it helps!: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/12248/replace-search-bar-in-header-with-an-image/p1 The user was trying to add something else, but it is the same concept.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

gregoryj77
Seems easy enough to follow. Ok, this is what I added: // FILTERS EXAMPLE ---------// // The following filter will add the font Ubuntu into the font array $thefoundry. // This makes the font available to the framework and the user via the admin panel. // add_action('hook_name','function name'); add_action('pagelines_before_branding_icons', 'branding_title_section'); // function name function branding_title_section(){ The "filters example" part is just part of whats in there by default. When I try to update file, the whole screen just goes blank and doesn't update. Did I do something wrong?

gregoryj77
Whoops, I can't access anything now. It seems the whole site has crashed. I deleted the lines I added and tried to update and it still is totally crashed.

Rob
Do you have a backup of the original or any previously edited files you may have just edited? If so, I'd suggest replacing those via FTP. That should resolve the problem.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur