Sign in to follow this  
ryanjohnjackson

Static page with 3 or more postloops?

ryanjohnjackson

Hey, I'm designing a page for my library/job and I want to make a custom homepage (I'm guessing). I want to have the page as a static page that isn't a blog area but I want to have multiple posts show on the page. So for example... I am using a plugin called WP UI. This allows me to make tabbed boxes that rotate. I am using css to hide the tabs so it just looks like content is changing itself. This plugin doesn't seem to like 2 instances of itself in one post. --- In post area 1 (postloop?) I will have these popular books rotate from a dynamic javascript linked to a 3rd party provider. I got this working the other night. In post area 2 I want to just put an area that displays pictures that rotate with descriptions In post area 3 I want WP UI again rotating through tabs but now each tabs will have feeds. --- Another reason I want these in 3 separate posts is it's easier for future editing/history and I can display that post in other locations. --- I am guessing this may be easy and I'll just have to duplicate a template page and add 3 lines of code, 1 for each post area? Then I'd set each of those areas to pull a specified post name: main_page_01 main_page_02 main_page_03 If I am right then what page do I copy and where? And what php am I supposed to pop in? Thanks! Ryan

kastelic
I'm sorry, which part of this are you needing help with? THe js or php? Have you seen the plugin Special Recent Posts, which gives you a shortcode to output posts in the page?

ryanjohnjackson
Hey Kastelic, I was using that but not sure I like how it pulls posts. The thing is one of the posts I am using is already a shortcode, within a shortcode, within a shortcode (hearing the inception score) and that seems to barely work. I will be one of 3 people working on the main page of the site over the next few years. So I have to make it where as few people touch the homepage as possible. What I need help with is: -best approach for this - what page template to try this from -what the php code is to pull a post -do I just edit this into the page template 3x to get that to work Maybe I'm asking how to create my own pagelines-like div areas that will work like postloop? This is the page: http://wppl.ryanjohnjackson.com/ The rotating books area is called bookletters and it's from a 3rd party subscription. That needs to be there. I don;t need help with javascript at the moment, thanks though. I need to make a featured post area, which I was using "Special Recent Posts" for but it doesn't work well with WP UI above it or vice versa. Then I need an area where I can put another bunch of tabs for those rss feeds. Sounded easy but seems some shortcodes don't like other shortcodes. So I thought if I isolated them in there own posting area they may not clash as much even when on same page. Plus it would make it so my co-workers don't touch the homepage. Maybe there's a guide area for this but I don;t know what to call it so I can't find it? Thanks!

ryanjohnjackson
Do child sections still work in Framework or just in platform pro? So I guess what I could do is build a section that can pull a cat or a post and make it able to be cloned like multiple types per page like the "fit to text" section? ----------------------------------------------------------------- Custom Child Sections Adding custom sections is one of the coolest things you can do with Platform. This allows you to extend the framework in a limitless way. In a custom section you can create your own drag and drop template that includes everything you need: Persistent PHP Header code like Javascript Options and Meta Options The actual HTML template CSS and image files Adding Custom Sections Adding a custom section takes only three steps: Add The File ??“ Add a file to the child ???sections??™ folder, with the naming convention: section.[your section id].php. Add The Section Class ??“ Duplicate the code from a demo section and rename key elements, like the ???class name??™, ???name??™, and id. Reference the code to learn how the API works. Register The Section - Add a pagelines_register_section function with the information it needs to your functions.php (see inline documentation for function args) To get started, just look at the demo sections provided in the child theme. The Base child theme has a custom section called section.pullquote.php. This is meant to show you how to create a custom section. In the video below the sample pullquote section is copied and used to create a second navigation section.

Rob
Sections can be built in Framework, though I'm not experienced enough to tell you how to do this. Since Special Recent Posts didn't work, did you try TPG Get Posts or Mini Loops as optional replacements for this purpose? Since Kastelic is more familiar with the other topics, I will address this to him.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur