Sign in to follow this  
cornell2

Post Titles

cornell2

I've got an odd problem, that I think (or hope) might be just about tweaking a setting or CSS ... but not sure. every time I try to paste a link to one of my blog posts to facebook, linkedin, Google + or just about any site where one would normally paste a link to a blog post, the site ends up 'extracting' my site title and post title (no space in between) link and excerpt, along with the site thumbnail. How do I control what information other site extract (I mean for the site title and post title)? Before I get some well meaning, yet unhelpful responses about changing my site name in wordpress settings, or explicitly pasting an excerpt - these are not my issues: When I paste just the link to a blog post, facebook, linkedin etc, displays the site name with (or instead of) the post name. So my question is how can I specify the kind of information other sites extract? I am not sure these are pagelines settings wordpress or something else - but any insights are appreciated. Thanks!

Rob
Could you provide an example? I.E. a link to your site, a post and the post listing in Facebook? I'd like to see just what's happening and look back to your site to see source code in the post title area. Thanks.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cornell2
Sure [url="http://metapreneurship.net/2012/01/21/crowdfunding-the-calm-before-the-storm/"]http://metapreneurship.net/2012/01/21/crowdfunding-the-calm-before-the-storm/[/url] You can try posting to a linkedin group/status update or as a facebook status update, and you will see what I mean. (and delete). I don't want to permanently post since the info/display is incorrect and I may not be able to correct it or delete it later.

Simon
So whats wrong with this? [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/absNa.png[/IMG]

cornell2
Everything. 1. This is not the title of the page/blog post !! (I use other, simpler wordpress themes, as well as all my colleagues, and the title of the POST is supposed to appear) 2. The representative thumbnail, the title of the site and tagline ARE Nowhere in my wordpress setup or pagelines setup (that I can find) !!! what you are seeing is not the title of the site, nor the tagline. In google plus and i linedin, it displays the incorrect site title and tag - but appends the correct post title. I have checked all wordpress settings (in fact the title and tagline are explicitly different), and in PLP - I cannot find anything that reflect the tagline or thumbnail. I have checked all kinds of "meta" settings inside the blog page (and home page) and this text does not appear, nor the thumbnail. I am still checking to see if I have any plugins that might be interfering, but after an hour or two so far, nothing seems to be suspect. The only area where I have had a thumbnail like that and possible text like that is in the features section. I SUSPECT at this point, that the features slider (which appears on each page) is interfering with the extraction of the proper site and post title, and thumbnail.

cornell2
My suspicions were wrong - it is not the feature slider. I did find out where the site icon was coming from (in pagelines global settings) but not where it is getting the incorrect title and tag line nor can I find out why sites don't 'see' the blog post title as the page title.

Simon
Here you go: [code] [/code] Whatever plugin is setting that in the HEAD i dont know.

cornell2
Yes I just found it while you were posting - in my PLP settings way under the custom code area (wish you had found it sooner!), there are two issues here. 1) this meta code ... (oddly affects G+ and Linkedin so I guess those services use opengraph too) BUT I removed the meta code - but it is still appearing, so I have a feeling pasted it someplace else too - checking now. I am fairly confident that once (if) I find where this other meta code is being used and remove it, that half my problems will go away. 2) the posting of the post-title. This is still not showing when i paste the link. We'll see ... BTW - I don't really want to remove this meta code for facebook opengraph!! I inserted this code because when people posted links to my site, the thumbnail and other info were not formatting correctly in facebook.

Simon
Well if you need the code there for facebook, and linkedin look for that code before they use your normal title tag you stuffed, unless you contact linkedin and tell them not to use the og tags ;)

cornell2
Aside from some plugin that I have overlooked, do you know of any other area where meta/header code could reside? I've already removed if from the PLP header code section (under 'custom code').

Simon
Could be a plugin, could be header.php, could be an action run from functions.php.. could be a lot of places.

cornell2
Ugh. I don't think it's a plugin (well not sure) but - After I removed the code from plp, I thought it was doing the same behavior because the meta code was still there. It was not! The meta code NOW has the correct or expected title. description etc (after I removed the meta code from plp) - BUT the problem is still the same when pasting into facebook, linkedin etc... weird. so I looked at the source for the page again. Meta is OK (what I want, though NOT being displayed). But at the very top is [code] Crowdfunding – The Calm Before the Storm | The Age of Metapreneurship [/code] I am not aware of any place where I explicitly code the opengraph code above ... nor am I aware of any plugins ... And thus don't know how to remove that first two lines. I am guessing somehow facebook remembers my earlier settings and overrides the settings in the blog. what do you think? Driving me nuts - while it is not explicitly a plp issue, I am sure the thread will help some other users here one day. Thanks!

Simon
Seems to be a plugin IMO [code] [/code]

cornell2
If you are looking at as the culprit - look elsewhere - this is referring unrelated plugin code right ABOVE that comment. (and I also disabled that plugin and tested 0- the behavior is the same).

cornell2
it is rather bizarre now. after uninstalling more plugins, just to be sure - and checking the sourcecode - pasting into FB or linkedin does that same thing - displaying a title and tag line that are nowwhere to be found inside the code or (apparently) anywhere else in my wordpress setup

cornell2
OK- I found part of the problem ... wow. I tried other posts and they worked OK. So it wasn't a plugin or even the embedded code - it was something wrong inside that one post itself (though I have not found it yet). Thanks for your help!