Sign in to follow this  
wendygordon

Child Section - How to?

wendygordon

I need to make a modification to the Boxes section file and I am unclear about the best way to do this. Instead of editing the file directly (which will get overridden with new updates of Frameworks), I think I need to create a Boxes child section which will override the original Boxes section, but not get overwritten when I upgrade. I am unclear how to do this. Can any point me in the direction of a step by step how to do this? thanks so much

catrina
I'm assuming you don't have the Pagelines Customize plugin installed and activated yet. You'll need it in order to perform the modification you're looking for. Please click the "Store" link under the PageLines tab on your Dashboard and look for the Pagelines Customize plugin under the "Top" category (it should be there - if not, it should be under the "Free" category). Once you find it, click "Install" and it should begin the process of installing. It may ask for your FTP log-in information, which you can retrieve from your hosting provider.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Simon
Actually Wendy, its easier than that, just copy the boxes folder from pagelines/sections/boxes to plugins/pagelines-sections/ folder then you can edit it. It will auto override the original.

wendygordon
Addendum to this question. I think i need to activate the Child Theme. but if i do that, what happens to all the plug ins, and css customization via the customize plug in that I have already done in the main theme?

wendygordon
Catrina, yes. I do have the customize plug in activated. Thanks Pross, I am going to try it your way, seems much easier than dealing with Child Themes. As always, you guys rule! W

Jenny
@wendygordon Let us know how it goes! If you consider this topic resolved, please accept an answer. Thanks! :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
Wendy, nothing happens to customizations with activation of the child theme. And thanks for the complement.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur