Sign in to follow this  
Wim Dijkgraaf

Why do PageLines side bars jump around, and with normal templates not?

Wim Dijkgraaf

I try to replicate a former template that I bought for 15 USD with my new PageLines environment. Hard work ... but getting close. The biggest hassle is how PageLines handels side bars. Just a minor change in fonts, width and the sidebars jump below the content. I have searched the forum and found/read many, many, many really many posts about users with the same problem. With an immense diversity of causes ... . My question is ... how can a sidebar be FIXED so it doesn't jump below the content anymore. Not if a widget isn't 100% HTML, NOT if the text is a bit longer than supposed to be, not if the resolution of a device is less than what the site is designed for (iPad e.g.). No rocket sience since all the cheap templates I bought before don't have these problems ... only with PageLines these problems arrise. Maybe I do something wrong ... . The site I work on is here: http://www.analise-e-analistas.com.br/de-negocios-interdual/ The secondary side bar is the biggest pain in the a.. . The site with the 15 USD template is at http://www.interdual.com.br and has no problems with sidebars jumping around ... . Thanks in advance, Wim Dijkgraaf

kastelic
The only thing that could cause this besides a plugin conflict is by adding extra borders, padding, or margins to the page elements. Font size, Image sizes, stuff like that won't affect it, the fonts will wrap and the images will just overflow. Adding padding and borders will increase the width of the elements causing sidebars to drop down. Couple things you can do to avoid this. As far as padding, you can add padding to some inner elements without affecting the width of its container. For example, instead of adding padding to #column-main itself you can add it to its .copy-pad or .mcolumn-pad instead. The affect will be the same but you won't affect the width of the main column. For borders, you can try using css "outline" instead of css "border". It looks the same but doesn't add width to the element.

Wim Dijkgraaf
Hi Kastelic, Thanks for your reply! Concerning the incompatibility of plugins ... why is that? I use exactly the same plugins with 4 other templates and with none of them I have any problem. But with PageLines, all these problems occur? If I could understand that, it would make me a happier customer.

catrina
I'm not exactly certain why those incompatibilities exist, but perhaps someone else can provide insight about that.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Wim Dijkgraaf
Hi Kastelic, I will first apply the guidelines and directions you wrote in your post. Maybe it's just only that. Will get back to this after some experimenting. Thanks for the info so far! Kind regards, Wim Dijkgraaf