Sign in to follow this  
Wim Dijkgraaf

Anyone has the pt_BR localization files for Base Theme?

Wim Dijkgraaf

I guess I could find out how to translate the base theme to brazilian portugese but if someone could provide me the files ... that would be really great!!! Thanks in advance, Wim Dijkgraaf [email protected]

Jenny
I don't know if anyone is willing to share, but here is how you do it on your own: [quote]All of the PageLines products are localization-ready, which means they can easily be translated in other languages. We usually recommend the following steps during the localization process: 1. Look up Localization on WordPress: http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress 2. Use PoEdit (http://www.poedit.net) to create your translation files. 3. After translating the file by Poedit save the translation. Poedit creates two files for you. One with the extension ".po" and the other one with the extension ".mo". Upload both files to the folder "language" located in PageLines folder. Alternatively, you could use another plugin (e.g. Codestyling plugin) to apply the translations. The "Leave a Reply" text and a couple of others are hard-coded into WP and are a bit more tricky to translate. [/quote]

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Wim Dijkgraaf
You see, I don't understand this. Many templates already come with translations in various languages. All sites use more or less the same words line "next post", "comments", etc. A product like PageLines really should come with all the translation files. Suggestions: PageLines buys one template that has all the translations done and just uses that for their own set of translations ... DONE! More change of happy customers ... . A product of almost 200 USD ... many templates are 20 USD and come with translations ... . Of course I can translate it myself with PoEdit ... but it's additional work. Thanks for the answer, Wim Dijkgraaf

Rob
Wim, I totally understand your frustration but, but there's a huge difference between any PageLines products and other themes. Your comparison is like the difference between an apple and an apple pie with cinnamon ice cream. The former may be good, but the latter tastes so much better. PageLines has a number of critical components that we did not translate, however, you're free to do so, as are any of our clients. We provide both the tools and the resources to do so. With hundreds of languages and tens of thousands of dialects, it's impossible for us to do every possible translation. If we did, the price would not be under $200 but far more. Considering that there are so many translation tools available today, it's possible to make the translation easily today. There are some things that developers or site owners are responsible for. We do not sell our products as pre-translated, and to our experience, many of the translated products, such as themes you mentioned are not correctly translated, leaving people to fix and correct major mistakes, some of which cause users to make errors. We believe in having a consistent base and clarity so that our clients can correctly translate to their language without errors. While you're correct that all WordPress sites do have common words not all of them use those, often changing them or leaving options out. Many, for example, opt to remove comments or change the name of posts to articles. So there's no point in our translating things. I hope you understand our position and agree that this is the best solution we can provide a global clientele.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Wim Dijkgraaf
ok. I'll try to translate and tell you how easy it is ... I know it isn't. Making a translation is for an owner of a template a one time in a year thing to do. I really have to do a considerable amount of reading, finding the tools, FTPing etc. If you don't do that regularly, it's at least half a day of work. And, I've already read about users having problems with specific words not getting translated ... that's another couple of hours of work. Additionally, no template is available in all possible languages as you suggest. Nobody expects that. But at least the major 8 languages wouldn't be too much to deliver. I think for people to buy a template, there are some basic requirements everybody expects as "standard" features: - available in several languages - compatible with most or at least all popular widgets - no (stupid) issues with z-indexes especially not in menus - basic features that look great like menus, foto galeries, buttons - highly flexible and easily configurable color settings - great looking social bar Now you can decide how well PageLines fits to these very basic requirements in relation to cheep and high quality templates on the market! My point is ... drag & drop is only one piece of the pie. There are many more requirements to have excellent scoring in the template market. Kind regards, Wim Dijkgraaf

Jenny
Have you checked out the [url="http://www.pagelines.com/translate/projects"]PageLines Translation Center[/url]? It is a user-driven community where you can add/use translations. If your language isn't listed, you can email [email protected] and they will get it added so you can start translating.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Wim Dijkgraaf
Yes, the PageLines Translation Center! Just great. Thank you.

Rob
Glad that's working for you. Thank you for your input in January. It helped our developers to generate the translation center.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur