Sign in to follow this  
mallorcanytt

Wrap vanilla forums in Wordpress header and footer

mallorcanytt

Hi Before PageLines did their switch to Vanilla Forums i did a Vanilla install on my Platform Pro site. The Vanilla install lives in a subdirectory (forum.mallorcanytt.com) and the site lives in www.mallorcanytt.com. The goal was to wrap the Vanilla Forum in the WordPress header and Footer so if i changed the navigation och footer the header and footer of forum.mallorcanytt.com got an automatic update also. Well i landed in a solution where i copied the header and footer to the Vanilla template and it works out OK. After that Pagelines launched their Pagelines 2.0 framework + a Vanilla addon = Great. Now i have upgraded to Pagelines 2.0 but the Vanilla install is still not wrapped as i want it to be. Questions: How is the Vanilla integration made?. Does it have the WP header and footer or is it a separate Vanilla template? When i add a menu item to the main site does that menu item appear in vanilla? i.e is it in sync? Is it possible to have vanilla <-> Pagelines in sync with my setup (forum in subdomain?)

Simon
The integration works like this: Vanilla has a special theme called pagelines and the first thing it does is load wordpress and grab the header and footer. Then it loads the rest of vanilla and uses the header and footer. So yes the menus and all settings needed are taken from wordpress. This system probably will not work for you if the forums are on a subdomain, yea it could probably pull the header ad footer from wp in the root domain, but the menus etc might be all screwed up. Plus depends how you have the domains setup too, if the two domains are not in the same userspace, php will not allow you to include a file from another account.

mallorcanytt
@pross I sent you a private message. Did you receive it? Could you please answer this message so i can move forward with my issues regarding Vanilla integration. /Thanks from a snowy Sweden

Simon
I have not received any messages. Please keep all questions here.

mallorcanytt
I have commercial questions too so i sent a message through the form on this page: http://www.pagelines.com/contact/.

Simon
I see, that opens a ticket with the support team, they will respond to you.

mallorcanytt
@pross Here comes the technical part of the question. I have done some tests and spent a few hours to load WordPress header/footer outside of WordPress + created a Vanilla custom theme. The subdomain is not a issue. I did the integration the following way: 1. Do wp_load in bootstrap.after.php 2. created a new theme and used the default.master.php to load stuff So i load things this way: --------- load pagelines header by calling wp_header() ---------- Load vanilla forum ----------- Load pagelines footer by calling wp_footer() ------------- The forum page loads up with the pagelines header and footer but the things i loose is the vanilla "stuff" that should load in header like links to CSS and javascript. Question: Is this the wrong path to take (replacing vanilla header code with wordpress header code) If no, what is the right way. If no, how can i load the vanilla specific css+javascript in header?

mallorcanytt
@pross I have bought the developer edition of pagelines and will examine the code to figure out how to inject pagelines header code in vanilla. You don??t need to answer my question above if you don??t have the time.

Danny
Hi Mallorcanytt, I have accepted your answer to make it easier for the other forum support mods.

Please search our forums, before posting!