Sign in to follow this  
gftservices

Layout Dimension Editor changes width's on settings save

gftservices

Hi Mysteriously, the Layout Dimension Editor keeps changing its settings most/each? time other Pagelines Settings are saved. I found these older threads related to this issue: - http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/6666/layout-dimensions-seem-to-change-by-themselves-pfprp-1.3.0.2/p1 - http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/7124/layout-set-in-layout-editor-continues-to-change-over-and-over-again/p1 - http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/7401/css-is-breaking-my-site/p1 ....which seem to indicate that the issue was solved > but I'm using WP 3.3.1 & PageLines Framework 2.0.1. After playing with the layout editor a few times, it appears that on every save it automatically reduces the global width by 4px. Very strange. Other times, when I try to manually set the global width, it immediately or on save reverts to an 800 odd px width. I have not installed any plugins for multiple days, and have been working on the CSS and text content (posts/pages) alone for the past two days. I have taken the following steps when testing this bug: - Disabled (and then re-enabled and disabled again) the ajax saving. - Optimised and repaired the database and cleared table overhead. - Removed all other themes from the site's instillation. - Cursed, prayed, sighed and banged things loudly. My hosting set-up includes: Apache version 2.2.14 PHP version 5.2.11 MySQL version 5.0.92-community Anyone else having this issue? Any pointers for resolving it? Any way to hard code the global width and page width as a work-around? Cheers Chris

Danny
Hi Chris, Can you post a link to your site please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

gftservices
Hi Danny I *think* I have fixed the issue > I have hard coded ajax saving disabled into the functions (child) file. If I have the issue crop up again, I'll post link and send access via a PM. Chris

gftservices
Hi Danny, Catrina Ok, for no reason I have the skill to understand, the layout editor has reverted to its buggy state (now with less plugins on the site, no change to the function hard code disable ajax loading). I tried moving all custom CSS to the Customise Plugin, after which this bug appeared to return, so I put it all back in the Settings Custom CSS field in the CMS... but no luck. Buggy still. So can someone EMAIL me (as this forum does not enable the ability to get email notifications as far as I can find) and tell me who to send a site login details to? Alternatively, just instruct me how to HARD CODE the site width (AND disable the current dynamic code that is buggy) into the Customise Plugin!!!! :) Might be faster;) BTW > greatly appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this weird situation! Cheers Chris

gftservices
HI Catrina - yes I did try deactivating all active plugins except for Pagelines Customise. No luck. Also tried various combinations (of some usual suspects using different/similar jquery libraries) and also deleted a bunch I can re-add later... then opptomised, repaired and dropped junk tables from the DB. Still no luck. Finding this very weird. Anything else I could try? Would love to know the php code to insert into the customise functions file to disable the layout editor > but that's where my technical skills go missing.... Chris

catrina
Do you want to disable the layout editor and just configure the layout width manually?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

gftservices
Hi Catrina - yes, that is one of the questions I have asked in the last two posts. If you could tell me how "to disable the layout editor and just configure the layout width manually" that would be great - thank you. Chris

Danny
Hi Chris, The layout editor isn't buggy, I have about 14 installations on PageLines Framework, all used for different purposes and all test sites have different plug-ins active and I haven't had any issue with with the layout editor. Of the 14 sites, using PageLines Framework, about 6 of them have a different width that the standard default width and not one of them has experienced the issue you're reporting. Would it be possible for you to send me a PM on the forums, with a link to your site, along with admin account details so I can investigate the issue please. Also, in the PM, can you confirm that I have permission, to create a few pages for testing.

Please search our forums, before posting!

gftservices
Hi Danny - thanks, message sent. Also appreciated getting the email to alert me - ta.

Jenny
@gftservices Just as an FYI, you can subscribe to follow up comments by clicking the star at the top of this thread to bookmark. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

gftservices
Howdy Well, I've now solved the problem. And it was not Pageline's Framework 2.X. The only issue is I'm not exactly sure what the problem was. In the hope this will provide a clue to someone else if the encounter this issue... here's an updateon my 30 odd hours of effort tackling this situation: Troubleshooting - Deactivating and deleting (selectively and then ALL) plugins and re-installing Framework, switching between Customise Plugin and Base Child Theme, database optomisation/repair/drop-tables, reinstalling WP, starting a completely new WP installation... finding Fantastico and other bugs in the Hosting environment (and getting those fixed)... and still not resolving the issue of Layout dimension editor auto-reducing width by 4px when Settings are saved. Support - Danny pitched in via private messages, accessed the site, tested it himself, and did so more than once... at which point it became obvious it wasn't WP, Pagelines, Plugins or my hosting environment. Problem - The other step in the chain, which so often appears 'transparent' was my browser (Firefox). Finally checking IE, the problem wasn't replicated. So deactivated and then uninstalled plugins and addons and themes from firefox... backed up and removed bookmarks, ran deep security scans on my whole PC.... but still couldn't isolate the issue. Solution - Brute force. Completely remove the up-to-date version of Firefox, including all settings / registry entries etc. (Do have full backup using FEBE addon). Reboot and reinstall Firefox, adding one addon/plugin/theme at a time and testing the layout dimension editor. Have NOT managed to isolate the cause. But the problem is no longer occurring. I had hoped to find a clear culprit, ut no such luck. So... go figure... like a person looking at you through their glasses and asking "where are my glasses?" sometimes you need to step back, look at the so-familiar-it-ain't-obvious components, and then use brute force to take out your frustration at missing an obvious step in the troubleshooting process! Thanks @Danny for your efforts. Chris