Sign in to follow this  
frontier

widget floating trouble in ie7

Rob
What's it supposed to look like? Can you post an image? I noticed you have: [code]#mwheader h2 { color: #FFFFFF; float: right; font-family: 'IstokWebBold'; font-size: 1.65em; margin-right: 25px; padding-top: 10px; text-shadow: none; text-transform: uppercase; }[/code] When I changed "margin-right: 25px;" to "margin-right: 20px;" the "Most Wanted" moved to the right perfectly with even spacing between the yellow "Mississippi's" and the border on the right side of the background. Try adjusting that and see how it impacts other browsers. I'd also point out that IE7 is a deprecated browser, with less than 3.4% of Internet users viewing it, mostly outside the US in third-world countries.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

frontier
That didnt affect anything. See below pictures.[img]http://www.dps.state.ms.us.php5-25.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/ie7.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.dps.state.ms.us.php5-25.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/modern.jpg[/img] I have gutted all of the content in those containers and it still will not float like i want it in ie7. I know ie7 is a dinosaur, but the client still has a larger userbase on ie7.

Rob
When I followed the link you provided which is supposed to look like IE7 will look, it was exactly the same as the "Everything Else" image above. Unfortunately different browsers render with considerable variation and there's no way to make things perfectly standard. I'm surprised that anyone in the US has clients or visitors looking at IE7. Last time I looked into IE7, the stats I saw showed IE7 users in places far and remote from the US. Without doubting you or your client, has that database been checked lately? Even Microsoft doesn't support it anymore. I am sorry that my solution was the wrong one but when I looked, I didn't see any of the most wanted images out of alignment or offset as seen in the images you kindly provided. Not sure what to do here as it's possible this might be influenced by your local computer too.

frontier
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp State government is really slow to update. But by that logic, safari only has 4.2% and i think it would be irresponsible to not consider that as well. Are you saying it looks fine in ie7 on your end? I have tried 3 different computers with ie7 and its broken on all three.

Rob
It's possible I'm not seeing it correctly. While I see your point re: Safari, at least Safari isn't deprecated. It is still being supported by its developer where IE7 isn't. It makes things tough for site developers like you to achieve things. If you're suggesting though that the state's workers are all using IE7, that could be close to 100% of the US IE7 user base. Oy! (A NYer's expression.) Honestly, I don't quite know what to do to help you. As far as I know none of the mods have IE7 on our machines. Doubtlessly, there is a solution, but I have no clue how to fix what you're seeing. I even tried looking via Browsershots with no luck.

frontier
FYI. I am looking at "developer tools" in IE and changing the Browser and Document mode to ie7. That is the only way i know to test ie7 without having a computer with an unupgraded ie7.

kastelic
Have you tried setting the width of #text-4 and/or #text-3 in CSS? For example: [code]#text-4 {width: 650px;}[/code]

frontier
@kastelic, i love you. Defining widths of both of those containing parents (#text-4, #text-5) did the trick. Thanks.

Simon
FWIW you could install the browser css plugin in the store, that would give you new body classes.. for example if your div was called .apples, in a IE browser you can now use .ie .apples or, if you wantd to be version specific .ie7 .apples