Sign in to follow this  
ryanjohnjackson

Child themes or alt backgrounds - with subdomain names

ryanjohnjackson

Hi, I haven't had much experience with child themes except with the single base theme. I am redoing my library's site using wordpress/pagelines and for the main site there is no issue so far. But we have 2 sections that we want to look completely different. A teen area and a childrens area. They want a different background, different menu and so on. What's the smoothest way to handle this? Also, for these sites my boss wants them to retain subdomain link names. Examples: main site and all pages www.whiteplainslibrary.org/pagename for teen and children's sites trove.whiteplainslibrary.org/pagename edge.whiteplainslibrary.org/pagename So for any page linked to a trove related page the link would retain this beginning edge.whiteplainslibrary.org. Then that link would have to go to either the child theme page or the layout changed page - based off your recommendations. A lot of info but it is all one issue for us. Thanks,

Simon
Wordpress does not support mapping subdomains to posts. Unless you install wordpress multisite in domain mode then each subdomain would have to be a separate site.

ryanjohnjackson
Thanks, that's what we were afraid of.

Jenny
You can have a unique background image per post/page in the PageLines Framework (not sure what you're using), but if you want anything other than that, it will have to do be done using custom CSS.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

ryanjohnjackson
Thanks, but we may have to run 3 or 4 separate wordpresses. I'd prefer to run 1.