Sign in to follow this  
gftservices

Custom Column Widths in Footer Sections

gftservices

Howdy gang Really appreciated form and benefited from the excellent forum threads. unfortunately on this issue I either can't find a workable solution through searching or I'm attempting the impossible. AIM: Have flexible (custom) width columns in a footer section of Pagelines Framework V2.x that allows Wdigets to be added and either the column width set automatically by wdiget width OR through Custom CSS. Any hints? Ideas? Questions? Solutions??? NB: I've tried morefoot columns, footer columns (1-6 number of) with custom CSS width variables, I've tried full width sidebar with various CSS variables (but here my CSS knowledge may be letting me down... and is where I suspect correct CSS coding will be a workable solution). NB2: It would also appear that there are many people who'd like to have custom width columns in a footer section, and so a great suggestion for Pagelines would be to add anotehr section to Pagelines > Settings > Layout Editor that allows the selection of number of footer columns and then width of columns to be set via GUI and %/pixel width data entry fields (like the page layout currently works for the body and sidebar spacing). Thanks in advance for any help you can provide - and heck, for reading this post in the first place!

Danny
Hi, Would it be possible for you to provide a link a to your site and also post a link to a concept image of how you would like it to look please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

gftservices
Hi Danny - thanks for chiming in. Sorry for the delay (been travelling). Site is here: http://thehotlist.com.au/blog/ Here's a simple annotated image. I have multiple sites where I'd like to achieve custom width for footer columns (containing widgets)... so this is just one simple example. http://thehotlist.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/TheHotList-Blog-2012-01-17-09-34-42.png Any comments, advice, gratefully appreciated!!!

kastelic
If you get Chrome and use the Inspector to view your html content you can see that each widget has its own id, so you could change the width individually, for example: [code]#follow-widget-2 { width: 40px; }[/code] Is this what you're looking to do? This may work best with the Full-width sidebar or Universal Sidebar since they aren't limited to a particular number of columns.

gftservices
Thanks kastelic Unfortunately, that controls the widget, but not the column width. I really need custom column widths (great if they're defined by the width of the widget - which I'll then set via custom CSS). Using full-wdith sidebar or universal sidebars does not allow columns that can contain native widgets. (or I don't know how to do that if it is possible?!:)

catrina
I think the column width is defined and then within that the widget widths are defined. Is that the column width you want to adjust?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

gftservices
HI Catrina - yes, it is the column width I'd like to define > fixed within css, or dynamic to match width of widgets (added bonus;)

Jenny
I may not be understanding what you're trying to do, but if I do, this is what I would do. I would set a 4 column footer (since it looks like you're trying to have 4 things there). Then I would add 4 text widgets to the footer putting each piece of info in 1 widget. Then I would style any one(s) that need to be changed using CSS since text widgets have unique IDs. If you set that up, and don't know how to style it, just let us know and we can help. Please also specify widths.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

gftservices
Hi simple_mama If I understand you correctly... I'd need to: 1. Use fotcols # columns 2. Set custom width for each widget in a column 3. Set custom padding for each widget in their column, and alignment of content within any text widgets (if used) to result in the actual columns displayed Ok... I got this to work on anotehr site. Cumbersome, and not able to get exact spacings (without spending hours!!!!)... but a work-around nonetheless. I still consider the inability to set column widths within Pagelines an easy to add functionality - but it will require adding individual selectors for each number of columns.... Thanks for your input guys.

gftservices
BTW - just to make the limitations clear, you can use the above method to push page content to the right, but not to the left. Column width, margins etc are only set at a generic level for all columns, not individual columns. Thus, if you want to have your widest column on the far right (eg for a contact form) you can't > as you can't push the widget content to the left of the column, only extend it out the right side (and off the page). If anyone has any insight on how to solve that issue, then this work-around will be complete;) Otherwise, it stays unresolved IMO.

Jenny
You don't necessarily have to set a custom width for each. Say you are happy with the first 3, then you could just set it for the 4th column (I believe it was the social media icons). Or you could even just do an inline CSS in that widget to tell the text inside to float:right. It really depends on how much you want to customize. Most people will want all columns the same width for fluidity, but it's okay not to be like most people. :) Just let me know if you need any help. Make sure you give specifics if you can.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.