Sign in to follow this  
joe_steer

Social Icons in 2.0

joe_steer

Hello, For some reason the social icons won't appear in my header. I've added the social site urls in the Header and Footer settings section of Base Theme Settings, but they're not appearing. Please help! My test site is here: http://www.broadcast2000.co.uk/homeowner/ thanks, Joe.

Rob
When you go to Dashboard > PageLines > Templates, for the header, what options do you have present? Did you check this [url="http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Use_the_Header_and_Footer_Settings"]Wiki post[/url]?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

joe_steer
Ah, ok I see.. the social icons work in the Branding but no the BrandNav. In that case how can I have my Branding logo with a little navigation next to it + also the social icons? If I enable Branding and BrandNav I end up with 2 logos! Thanks, Joe.

Danny
Hi Joe, Have a look at this thread, it shows you how to add the social icons to the Brandnav section. http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/16182/social-icons-with-brandnav-section#Item_15

Please search our forums, before posting!

joe_steer
Thanks for your help Danny, but that thread has gone slightly over my head! Could you help me with where I need to put that code that she's supplied? I've installed the 'PageLines Customize Plugin' but not sure what a 'hook' is or where to put that code! Please help! Many thanks, Joe.

catrina
Please refer to this documentation on the PageLines Customize Plugin and let us know if you need further assistance: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Use_the_PageLines_Customize_Plugin

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

joe_steer
Hi Catrina, I've read that article and understand the concept of the customize plugin.. but still struggling to work out how and where to insert the code/hook you mentioned in the other thread.. Sorry to be so needy! Would really appreciate some further assistance. thanks, Joe.

joe_steer
I can't find any examples of exactly what hooks are and how to use them.. (step by step example would be great!) can you point me in the right direction?

catrina
Below is an example of a hook. It's used to generate the top right navigation links on this site: http://thepostsocial.com [code]add_action('pagelines_after_branding_wrap', 'global_nav'); // ---> uncomment to load //add_action('pagelines_after_branding_wrap', 'global_nav'); // function name function global_nav(){ ?> uncomment to load //add_action('pagelines_before_sharebar', 'to_all_posts'); // function name function to_all_posts(){ ?> uncomment to load //add_action('pagelines_after_branding_wrap', 'global_nav'); // function name function global_nav(){[/code] The snippet that says [b]pagelines_after_branding_wrap[/b] is the hook. This is what is used to determine where your element is placed. In this case, if you use pagelines_after_branding_wrap, means that the element will be placed after the branding wrap in the header. There is a list of hooks (labeled as "ACTIONS") here: api.pagelines.com/hooks. You need to choose which hook you need and in the code above, paste it in place of [b]pagelines_after_branding_wrap[/b] (in both locations). The snippets that say [b]global_nav[/b] should be replaced with a descriptive name for the element you're adding. In your case, you're trying to add a social icon, so you can replace [b]global_nav[/b] in the code with [b]social_icon[/b] (in three locations in the code above). That's the first step. Does it make sense so far?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

joe_steer
That's great, I'm getting there.. thanks so much for your help. One more thing, to move it around a bit in that area should I just use good old "
" and " " ..or is there a cleverer way you'd do it? Joe.

joe_steer
the  * between the " " won't sure in my post of course, whoops!

joe_steer
& n b s p ; without the gaps is what i'm try to say !!!

catrina
You can use
but if you're trying to move it in smaller, more exact increments, it's best to do so with CSS. Also, btw, in the big chunk of code I gave you, I also accidentally pasted in a second hook (which generates something else in that Post Social website), so that can serve as a second example.

Designer | Catrina Dulay