Sign in to follow this  
benday

How to display custom logo, heading, and description?

benday

Hi, Version Info: I'm using PageLines Pro for my self-hosted WordPress website. I'm running WordPress 3.3.1. I'm not sure what the version number is of PageLines but I purchased/downloaded the latest version yesterday (1/11/2012). Here's my site: http://benday.com The Goal: I'm trying to figure out how to display the "Site Title" and "Tagline" (aka. "heading" and "description") below my logo. What I've figured out so far: PageLines will display either a "Custom Logo" or will display the "heading" and "description" text for the website. Out of the box, you can't have both. I've searched around on the forum and it looks like there are a couple customization options. Option #1 involves something called "hooks" and for option #2 you to hack /wp-content/themes/pagelines/includes/library.templates.php. The major downside of option #2 is that any patches to the PageLines theme will wipe out the library.templates.php changes. This sounds...uhhhmmm...unappealing. :) The Question(s): 1. Are there any other options that I should consider? If yes, how do I implement them? 2. If I use "hooks" would that save me from having to re-apply my changes whenever a theme update comes through? 3. How would I implement this using "hooks"? BTW, I'm technical but I'm a complete noob on php and WordPress. Thanks in advance, -Ben

Simon
Hi Ben, welcome to the forums :) A hook is your best option, install the pagelines customize plugin first and activate it, then open plugins/pagelines-customize/functions and add this: [code]add_action( 'pagelines_inside_bottom_branding', 'header_text' ); function header_text() { echo '
hello
'; }[/code] You can control what the div looks like with .my_header class. Also a quick look at your site with the url you provided... you gave us a non-www url, is this intentional? As i was also able to add www to the url means search engines will mark you down for duplicate content ;) Pick either www or non-www and add a redirect into .htaccess bit of free advice ;)

benday
Hi Pross, Thanks for the info. I actually mod'ed your code a little with the stuff from library.templates.php so that it would pull the description from the WordPress config settings. Here's what I ended up putting into functions.php: [code]add_action( 'pagelines_inside_bottom_branding', 'header_text' ); function header_text() { $site_title = sprintf( '
%s
', get_bloginfo('description')); echo apply_filters('pagelines_site_title', $site_title, $location); }[/code] Also, thanks for the tip on the www.benday.com vs. benday.com thing. I'm not 100% sure how to handle this. I didn't mention that I'm self-hosted on IIS on Windows 2008 so the .htaccess stuff won't work for me. Also, my move to WP is so that I could combine my website content (www.benday.com) with my old blog content (blog.benday.com). I've wrestled with how to combine both sites without breaking any links to my old blog.benday.com posts or my old rss feed (http://blog.benday.com/rss.aspx). Long story --> short...I've got everything configured so that the old blog urls all (appear) to work. Unfortunately, I've had to make my web host respond to *.benday.com and benday.com -- basically, any HTTP traffic that ends with "benday.com" will get my WordPress content. I played around with IIS Rewrite Rules and eventually gave up. Got any brilliant ideas? :-) Thanks again, -Ben