Sign in to follow this  
JohnMagic

Upgrading iBlog4 -> Pagelines Framework 2.0/iBlog5

JohnMagic

Hi. Are there any guidelines or best practice for upgrading a modified iBlog4 to Framework 2.0/iBlog5 ? Is there any changes in the iBlog5 that may cause iBlog4 customizations not to work ? ( My customizations are some small iBlog4 core code chages in the slider and CSS/Graphics changes in the menu.

Danny
Hi John, Due to iBlogPro 5 being a child theme for PageLines Framework and iBlogPro 4 was a standalone theme. When you upload and activate iBlogPro 5, you sites content will still remain but the overall look of your site will use the default style of iBlogPro 5. Therefore, none of your custom CSS or code will be imported to iBlogPro 5. Although, you can simply change back to iBlogPro 4 and your site will look like its normally did. I would personally, create a testing environment, so that you're not left making the changes you want on your live site. If you don't already have it installed, I would recommend you use either MAMP for mac, WAMP for Windows or XAMMP can be used on both operating systems. These programs allow you to run a website locally on your PC/Mac and is great for testing new plug-ins, code and doing a test run on an upgrade. MAMP - http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html WAMP - http://www.wampserver.com/en/ XAMMP - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Please search our forums, before posting!

JohnMagic
Sure Danny, this is all good general info and advice for those new to WP dev and how themes work. However I ask if theres is any guidelines on upgrading from the standalone iBlog4 to the framework childtheme iBlog5. I guess the answer to the guideline/best practice question is NO ?

kastelic
The menu CSS is going to be pretty much the same since its the same Wordpress-made structured menu. The other things, I'm not sure, but if you say their minor, well, it may take a bit of time and work , but you should be able to apply the same thing to the new theme.

JohnMagic
Is there any documentation at all about iBlog5, or is it only the framework wiki?

JohnMagic
iBlog5 also seems to be a light version of iBlog4. The menu, as an example, is not as good looking as Iblog4 and lack active state and vector gfx. Is this correct? Catrina: When you say, so far, does that mean that documentation is coming, or will there be no documentation?

Rob
The Wiki (Framework docs) is an ongoing development process and grows frequently as we refine each component of the Framework. Each child theme will have documents at some point in the not too distant future but we can't give you specific dates. Apologies for that. Active state should be do-able with CSS. Vector graphics were not included in this version of Framework but that too is in development for a future release.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

JohnMagic
What vector graphics is in development and what is the time frame ? You have the vectors from the design so it should not be more than 2 hours work to pack it for release. FYI: its said in an other thread about documentation that it will be done in a few weeks: [quote]The developers have just informed me that the documentation for child themes is, in fact, being developed and should be published in the next few weeks. If you have a specific question though, please feel free to let us know and we'll be happy to help.[/quote]

JohnMagic
btw: Active state does work, it just doesnt work before a menu is assigned in the WP menu backend. Its not only doable, its done. There are other issues with the menu though, and I have made a thread for it here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/16951/iblog5-menu#Item_1