Sign in to follow this  
couturemotion

Showing Comments In the Loop

couturemotion

I want my comments to display in the blog posts loop that my homepage is set to. It doesn't seem like I can do this in the PlatformPro settings, so I'm guessing I'll need to root into the PHP. Any help as to how to proceed would be appreciated. www.couturemotion.com/blog

Danny
Hi Couturemotion, I wouldn't advise this, if your posts receive a lot of comments. Then your homepage will become extremely long in terms of length and would take your users/visitors about 15minutes to view your next post. The universal style of a blog page and this goes for pretty much every website with a blog, is that your blog page only shows teaser content, or at least the full content of the post but never the comments from users. To view comments, you should always make the user click the post's title. For the reason above.

Please search our forums, before posting!

couturemotion
Hey Danny, I hear what you are saying, but I still want to know how. My blog if for my wedding film company. Within my industry it is very common to have the comments section on the loop in a scroll. I already have the custom CSS in place to be able to get the size of the comments manageable. I was using a previous blog theme up until a few days ago when I started to migrate to Pagelines and I had the comments on the loop within a scroll there and it worked very nicely. Ian

Rob
Ian, you are much better advised to implement a testimonial plugin for your front page or, get a plugin that takes comments and makes them into a feed in the sidebar. Danny's quite correct, your site will loose steam because the volume of comments would drive the second post down far, and the third.. so no one will actually read your posts. Your traffic and business will not go up but down. A testimonial plugin could be built into the front page very nicely.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

couturemotion
Thanks rangelone, Perhaps the testimonials idea would work. If you have any further information on that idea, that would be swell. However, I would still love to have my question answered because this is the way that my blog was and it is the way that most people in my industry implement their comments. By incasing the comments in a scroller it can take up minimal space and since my work does not depend on infinite traffic or wide ranging SEO, I am not concerned with this potential issues. So it would be super awesome if someone could answer the question even if I end up going with the testimonials idea, I would still like to know how to do this.

Rob
Ian, The request you're making is going to require extreme customization at a pro level. If you look at Dashboard > PlatformPro > Template Setup under Posts Page Content Area, you will see that there's no Comments option there. Even if it were, that would put the comments at the end of the page, not the end of each post. So you need to get someone custom writing a section, a function, and implementing that. It's unfortunately more than we could handle in a forum setting. I'd suggest writing to [email protected] to get a quote for Professional development services for this. However, I'm pretty sure the testimonial plugin option would work very nicely. Also, check http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins for comments related plugins that may let you embed a post's comments somewhere on the front page. Another option would be to transfer comments to facebook then add them to a sidebar to show there.

Rob
No problem! The best part of the testimonial option is you can easily police the comments you add and make them graphically appealing.