Sign in to follow this  
spottage

Multi-page vs. Multiple pages

spottage

Hi folks, So I've designed this website for my high school students and have reached 1200 pages. The performance of the site is becoming increasingly poorer over time and I'm not if it is the result of so many pages, something on the host's end, or something else altogether. I'm certainly not a developer and have very little experience in the PHP environment. Any advice would be much appreciated. Can someone please help me out? Thanks in advance. Stephen 1. Which is considered the better practice and/or will keep the site running more smoothly? Creating multiple child pages (say 15) for each topic, or a single page that uses the Page Break option multiple times? Here's an example of the multi-page version and an example of what one classes child page structure looks like. As you can see, one of our courses currently has 17 child pages for each module, and 5-6 modules for each class. The page count is rising rapidly. 2. Is there a way to modify the labels of the multi-pages? For example, on the muti-page example in questions 1, can I change Page 1, 2, 3 etc to labels I create? 3. Is there a way to add the multi-page label to the top of the page as well as the bottom? If I switch to this model, I want the students to easy get to page 8 for example as soon as they get to the page rather than having to scroll to the bottom of the page. I hope this wasn't too confusing. Thanks for any advice/help.

catrina
1. The single page option with page breaks sounds more manageable. 2. I don't think it's possible to change these numbers to labels if they're being generated dynamically/automatically. If you need to change these to labels, they need to be created manually so that you can change them manually. 3. Do you mean you want the pagination at the top?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

spottage
[quote]Do you mean you want the pagination at the top?[/quote] Yes.

Rob
Stephen, I doubt that the number of pages is actually affecting your speed. I have a WordPress installation with 20,000 posts, dozens of pages and 2.3 Million page views monthly. The problem with speed probably results from a deprecated plugin or necessary updates. Have you upgraded WordPress recently? If so, I highly recommend an inventory be conducted of your plugins to ensure that each is fully up to date; compatible with the current WP version and is not cited by other users as broken. The pagination going above the post is theoretically a simple matter of drag and drop in Dashboard > PlatformPro > Template Setup. Look for the Content options far down on the dropped list. You will see a Pagination button. Simply move it above the title and save. It should be under Single Post Content Area.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur