Sign in to follow this  
israelgenealogy

Weird layout issues in IE 8

israelgenealogy

I don't use IE (I'm on a Mac) so it's hard for me to trouble-shoot these kind of things. A user sent me a screenshot in IE where the twitter bar in the MoreFoot section had expanded into a huge box as shown in this image they sent me: pagelines-iebug1.png Actually, it was the second IE user who had sent me that. To fix it, I just removed the twitter bar for the time being. Then the user sent me the attached image of what they see in IE after I did that: pagelines-iebug2.png Which shows the content, then sidebar 1, then sidebar 2, each in it's own vertical space. What's going on here? I'm not an IE fan, but I don't want exclude IE users from using the website, so help would be greatly appreciated. The web site itself is http://genealogy.org.il/. Thanks.

Rob
It looks fine in IE9, and though you're correct that none of us wish our sites to look strange in any browser, unfortunately, we have to be cognizant that it's the responsibility of the viewer to update their browsers. There may be a missing component, such as a punctuation mark or bracket in CSS either in your Custom Code or included in a plugin. You could disable all your plugins but I fear that doing so will be pointless as you can't test it. I found this, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc848857%28v=vs.85%29.aspx but again, you need to test to see the results of changes and none of my colleagues have IE8 to my knowledge. I'd suggest putting some test in a sidebar widget the way people did when Netscape first competed with IE1 - "This site is best viewed in up to date browsers. Please make sure your browser is current and is the must recent version." Short of that or getting an older computer with IE8, I don't know how you could fix a problem you don't know exists. One thing - Make sure your plugins are all up to date and compatible with the version of WordPress you're using.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur